Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rozz0609 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 05:35 AM
    Sewer smell in upstairs and downstairs bathroom sink when first turn water on.
    I bought a new construction home last November that was on the market for over two years. When you first run water in the morning in both the upstairs and downstairs bathroom sinks a horrible sewer smell comes out of the drain but eventually goes away. The plumber was not able to determine the cause. He said he checked the traps under the sink, the vent on the roof and also ran a camera down the sink but couldn't find anything. Any other suggestions. Not a pleasant odor when trying to brush your teeth.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 21, 2010, 05:54 AM

Try this. Tonight, before bedtime pour a 1/2 gallon of bleach down both drains and let it set overnight. Next morning take a pan of boiling water and flush out the drains, Smell better now? Let me know. Tom
    rozz0609 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 10:39 AM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    IT WORKED! After 2 months, still no odor. Thanks!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my downstairs bathroom sink get water in it when I use my upstairs bathroom [ 4 Answers ]

The sink in my downstairs bathroom backs up with water whenever I flush my upstairs bathroom toilet or run the water in its sink. The back up water is dirty and has debri in it. I tried clearing the drain in the downstairs sink from any hair or what have you and I tried some sort of liquid...

When I shower upstairs the sink downstairs fills with water. [ 8 Answers ]

I have a bathroom upstairs and downstairs on top of each other. When I shower upstairs the sinks slowly fill with water and what looks like silt. This doesn't happen when I use the bathtub upstairs, just the shower. What is going on?

Sewer Smell from Bathroom Sink [ 10 Answers ]

I think I know what the problem is, the plumbing was not done correctly. The toilet is flushed and I believe it is siphoning out the water from the sink. It doesn't seem to effect the shower though. I just need to confirm and try to find a solution. It is a vertical stack (2nd Floor Bath) with...

Sewer smell under bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

We are living in a Park Model (small mobile home).through the months of May & Oct. The house is not on a foundation, and has skirting all the way around. We are getting a smell under the bathroom sink. The house does not have exterior venting.The sink & toilet drain into a holding tank that gets...

Sewer smell in upstairs bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

My house is new construction and is less than 2 years old. I have a guest full bathroom upstairs that is rarely used. I have started noticing strong sewer smells from that bathroom. What are some possible causes of the smell and are there any simple do-it-myself solutions?

View more questions Search