Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    austin29 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2010, 01:37 PM
    Gallon jug riddle
    There is a 9 gallon jug and a 5 gallon jug how can you get 7 gallons, there are no markers and it has to be precise
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 20, 2010, 02:02 PM

Is this homework?

Oct 20, 2010, 08:28 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    Its just a riddle our teacher gives us after class for fun and we are stumped I know how to get it with a 5G and a 3G to get 4G but I can't get this one
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 04:11 AM

1/2 of each jug equals 7 gallons.

Oct 21, 2010, 12:58 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    But you don't know what half is, there are no markers and you have to be precise
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2010, 01:28 PM
    1. Fill the 5-gallon jug, pour all of it into the 9-gallon jug
    2. Fill the 5-gallon jug again and pour 4 gallons into the 9-gallon jug leaving 1 gallon in the 5-gallon jug
    3. Pour 1 gallon into the 9-gallon jug
    4. Fill up the 5-gallon jug and pour it all into the 9-gallon jug totalling 6 gallons in the 9-gallon jug
    5. Fill up the 5-gallon jug again and pour 3 gallons into the 9 gallon jug leaving 2 gallons in the 5-gallon jug
    6. Pour the 2 gallons into the 9-gallon jug
    7. Fill up the 5 gallon jug
    8. Pour the 5 gallons into the 9-gallon jug
    9. 7 Gallons

BAM

Oct 21, 2010, 07:49 PM
    Comment on slapshot_oi's post
    NICE, thanks a lot appreciate it :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glass 1 gallon jug/jar [ 1 Answers ]

I have found 3 glass 1 gallon jug/jar in my attic one of which has a V with a O bottom half on the base. These bottles are about 30cm from base to neck and have a 3cm opening at the top. Have I stumbled across junk or something worth some money ?

80 gallon vs 2 40 gallon water heater. [ 1 Answers ]

I own a small motel that has two 40 gallon water heaters hooked up consecutively. They are about 20 years old. The furnace (hydronic heat) is hooked up to the water heaters as well and preheats the water before it goes to the 40 gallon tanks. I would like to replace the water heaters and was...

Old jug [ 1 Answers ]

I have a jug where the name was signed on the jug when the clay? Was wet. And the name Is Jacob Childers. My grandmother was from the NC mountains, and we think that is where she brought it. I am no expert but the jug is quite old and has a stonish look. I would say much over 100 years, since...

2 40 gallon water heater vs 1 80 gallon [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a new house. I am considering installing two 40 gallon water heaters rather than one 80 gallon water heater. My thought is that I could turn one the 40 gallon heaters off as there are only two of us most of the time. Then we could turn on the other when we have guest. Is there a...

View more questions Search