Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2010, 10:46 AM
    Just ban everything
    Since all our country's other problems are solved, the Obama administration may push for an outright ban on cell phone use while driving, hands-free or not. Cell phones can obviously be a distraction, Transportation Secretary LaHood said hands-free devices are a "cognitive distraction."

If we're going to ban that distraction in cars, here are a few more to ban along with it:

Police radios
    Police cameras
    Stereos of any sort
    DVD players
    On Star systems
    GPS
    CB radios
    Children
    Other passengers
    Billboards
    Traffic signs and signals
    Traffic
    Pedestrians

What else? Oh, and I hear but haven't confirmed that traffic accidents and fatalities are declining.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2010, 10:58 AM
    Banning the phones entirely in cars is a little excessive. I have read many police reports that detail the cause of accident as being inattention caused by texting or hands-to-the-ear cell use.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2010, 11:00 AM

Just don't take away my morning mug of coffee .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2010, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    just don't take away my morning mug of coffee .
    Just don't position it between your thighs when you're removing the lid to put in cream.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2010, 11:10 AM

Hello Steve:

In a few short years, we ain't going to be driving anyway. Our cars will do it by themselves. Then we can call, watch TV or diddle around. But, until then, maybe we SHOULD be paying attention...

What? You're FOR more carnage on the roads??

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 20, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Oh, and I hear but haven't confirmed that traffic accidents and fatalities are declining.
    True enough, thanks to a host of government incentives:

- Raising of the minimum age for unrestricted drivers licenses
    - Crack downs on drunk driving
    - Federally-mandated safety features in cars, such as air bags, ABS brakes and antiskid technology
    - Higher standards for impact protection
    - General improvements in highway infrastructure, such as median barriers on highways and uniform standards for highway design
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2010, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Just don't position it between your thighs when you're removing the lid to put in cream.
    Ouch, lol.

If you grind your beans at home and pour the freshly brewed cup of awesomeness - with cream - in a Nissan thermal mug you're good to go.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2010, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Banning the phones entirely in cars is a little excessive. I have read many police reports that detail the cause of accident as being inattention caused by texting or hands-to-the-ear cell use.
    Which reminds me, instrument panels have to go. You can't be distracted by things like watching a speedometer.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2010, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    In a few short years, we ain't going to be driving anyway. Our cars will do it by themselves. Then we can call, watch TV or diddle around.
    I'm not giving up that much control to a machine.

But, until then, maybe we SHOULD be paying attention...

What? You're FOR more carnage on the roads??
    Hey, I can scream "put the phone down and drive" as good as the next guy, but if cops and truck drivers have been driving for all these decades with their radios, everyone else can learn how to drive and talk at the same time. Aren't you tired of morons and regulations ruining things for the rest of us?
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2010, 02:59 PM
    everyone else can learn how to drive and talk at the same time. Aren't you tired of morons and regulations ruining things for the rest of us?
    Hello again, Steve:

So, instead of an outright ban, we could settle on more driver training...

excon
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2010, 03:08 PM
    everyone else can learn how to drive and talk at the same time.
    Not 18 y/o girls who text and turn in front of me and my new car.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2010, 03:40 PM
    There are some restrictions that are reasonable and drivers should be fined for all acts of negligent driving no matter what the cause. Answering a cell is a distraction, holding one in your hand while driving impairs driving skills, reading an SMS does too, so does loading a CD into a player or selecting a radio channel, and having an argument with a passenger, but who remembers to turn off a cell when entering a car, loading the CD before starting the journey or selecting the radio channel. Hands free talking on a cell isn't a problem but texting is but you can't legislate common sense. Where I come from using a cell while driving is illegal, doesn't stop people doing it.I agree a car full of noisy kids is also a distraction but what are you going to do short of throttling them
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2010, 03:58 PM
    Which reminds me, instrument panels have to go. You can't be distracted by things like watching a speedometer.
    Do you know what texting is? It doesn't compare to the 2 second glance at the speedometer.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2010, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I agree a car full of noisy kids is also a distraction but what are you going to do short of throttling them
    You do what I used to do -- stop the car on the side of the road and refuse to go any further until everyone promises to behave. Otherwise, turn around and go home.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2010, 04:08 PM
    Hands free talking on a cell isn't a problem
    Oh, yes, it is! Studies are finding that talking on a phone even hands-free commands more of your brain than talking with a real person in the car with you. It's a more complex cognitive activity.
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2010, 04:09 PM
    I'm not giving up that much control to a machine.
    Hello again, Steve:

Like you'll never stop tuning up your car?? Things change, Steve. When the only way for you to get from here to there IS to let your care take you there, you'll do it. And, it's happening FASTER than you think.

excon
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2010, 04:10 PM
    You do what I used to do -- stop the car on the side of the road and refuse to go any further until everyone promises to behave. Otherwise, turn around and go home.
    A bit ridiculous two hours out from home, no the solution is to have quality breaks and activities and frequent seat changes and avoid having more than two in a car.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 20, 2010, 04:15 PM

Car Accident Cell Phone Statistics & Driver Text Message Facts
    ... that texting is their number one driver distraction. Cell Phones, Text Messaging, and Car Accident... United States send text messages while...
    http://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accid...tatistics.html - Cached

I thought this was quite interesting.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2010, 04:22 PM
    A bit rediculous two hours out from home, no the solution is to have quality breaks and activities and frequent seat changes and avoid having more than two in a car.
    Well, obviously two hours from home would change the method of discipline! But what if you have four children? Leave two at home?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 20, 2010, 05:11 PM
    Well, obviously two hours from home would change the method of discipline! But what if you have four children? Leave two at home?
    Why do you think god invented roof racks ? ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search