Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Algebra2guy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 06:21 PM
    What electric guitar would you recommend to a beginner.
    I own a Squire Stratocaster and would like to upgrade to a nicer guitar I would like to spend less then $500.
    I have my eye on a Standard Stratocaster Hss. What would you recommend?
    Eminence Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2010, 06:44 PM
    Hey There, It depends on what type of music you play and what guitar feels comfortable. I believe standard Strats are more than $500. If you play rock or metal I'd recommend you look at schecter guitars (My personal favourite). For Blues I'm not too sure but Telecasters are pretty decent. Ibanez and Jackson guitars are decent for all round but they are more on the rock side. But in the end it all comes down to personal preference
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2010, 06:58 PM

Ibanex does make a nice guitar for a decent price. You can get a good used guitar for $500 or less too. Look in pawn shops, or in the classified ads. Good luck.
    dmx_rock_tech Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Oct 31, 2010, 07:59 PM
    Pick a guitar that fits your style of music, but...

Cheaper guitars are almost NEVER set up well. Beginners are often frustrated by strings sitting too high off the neck, making it harder to fret and play. It is soooo worth the money to get a professional setup from a local guitar tech. Often you can find one at a music store. Ask your teacher, or ask a local working musician who they recommend to setup your guitar. Even if it's a cheapie, it will be easier to play after a good setup, which means more fun, and less frustration.

Also, when learning use as light a gauge of string as possible. Heavier gauge (thicker) strings have better tone, but are harder to fret for beginners. Stevie Ray Vaughn used .013's (thirteens) on his start which is like playing with power lines for strings. . 009s (Nines) are about the minimum commonly available for electrics. Disclaimer - You're likely to break more strings playing lighter guages, but that's just rock and roll man. The numbers (like 13 or 9) refer to the gauge of the lightest string, usually the high E.

Eventually, you get calluses and the pain goes away. Any finger pain you get when you start will go away soon. Play for the rest of your life.

Rock on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why hasn't the Keyboard replaced the Electric Bass Guitar? [ 3 Answers ]

Plus keyboards now have pitchwheels and mod wheels so they can imitate the sliding of the finger on the fret etc. And also , BASS is not like acoustic guitar where one of the beautiful things about the guitar is you hear the WEEP sound when the fingers slide to create new chords or slide a finger...

Electric guitar not preducing distortion anymore [ 0 Answers ]

I recent had my guitar rewired by someone who I'm pretty sure knew what he was doing. However a few days after, the guitars distortion ability began to fade. I tried a different amp so its not that. The guitar has two pretty new seymour duncans. (an invader a some railed one) they both seam to have...

Beginner on the Guitar [ 27 Answers ]

Hi there my loyal subjects! Ironclad needs help? I was thinking about taking up the guitar and trying to learn how to play it! But the problem is, I don't know where to begin?? Any advice for the basics of a beginner?

Beginner classical guitar [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I stay in UK currently. I was planning lately to buy a guitar. I did a little research on this and found I could get a decent one for around 50 £. I just need a beginner guitar, no hi-fi quality ones. I just started learning guitar. I have an acoustic guitar with me already which I left...

Beginner Acoustic Guitar [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a decent starter guitar? I'm looking to spend $100-150 on something. I've never played, but have had an interest in learning for many years. I've noticed several guitars at Guitar Center in my price range, but can't seem to identify from their...

View more questions Search