Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meankatlen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Adding a name to a deed
    I was wondering if any one knows... if I add my domestic partner's name to my deed, will his bad credit affect my mortgage?
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 3, 2007, 11:25 AM
    No. The only way it will affect you is if you don't make your future payments on time.
    Dwight_Pigg Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Jan 25, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by meankatlen
    I was wondering if any one knows....if I add my domestic partner's name to my deed, will his bad credit affect my mortgage?
    It won't affect your credit but remember: If you ever decide to part company, your partner will have as much right to the property as you do. You could be forced to sell or refinance to "buy out" the other party.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 25, 2007, 11:31 AM
    It won't affect your current mortgage, but it would affect any refinancing you want to do. And I agree with Dwight, that you are being very generous in giving your partner half your home. There may also be tax consequences of such a gift.
    Bobak Posts: 12, Reputation: -1

Feb 11, 2007, 11:46 PM
    I was wondering if any one knows....if I add my domestic partner's name to my deed, will his bad credit affect my mortgage?
    Not at all. What you should understand is that the names on the title and the names on the loan are 2 completely different things. You'll still be the only person on the loan, but you can add him to the title/deed.
    If you have good credit and he has poor credit, another thing you can do is add him to some of your credit cards as an "authorized user". This will not have any negative impact on you, but will help him out a lot (depending on your credit score and history). The cards that you add him on should be the ones that you've had for a long time (2+ years) and they should be below 30% of the max at all times. Don't give him the cards or allow him to use them (he has bad credit for a reason right?), but keep making the payments on time and in as soon as one month he will notice improvements. There are several other things you can do to improve his credit, but I would recommend having a professional do it. Be very careful picking the company that you put in charge of his credit and don't be fooled by these low-cost solutions. You will get exactly what you pay for, so don't be cheap when it comes to something this important. If you need assistance finding a reputable company to help you with this, I can refer you to some.
    maebarr Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Feb 12, 2007, 12:31 AM
    A deed and a loan are two separate issues. My credit is not the best, my husbands is good. My name is on the cars and house, but not on the actual loans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding names to a deed [ 5 Answers ]

My mother would like to add 2 of her children's name on the house deed. She lives in New York state. How does she add her children's names to the deed?

Adding a name to a deed [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New York, and plan to have my name added to the deed on my mother's home. This would mean that we both own the property, which is important since she is 81 years of age. I purchased a blank of the same type of deed which we have, but I need help completing it. What is the easiest and...

Corrective Deed, New Quit Claim Deed, or See an Attorney? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a major problem with a quit claim deed that was done regarding my father's property. The intention was to put me in the deed but as an heir to the property, not as a co-owner or anything like that. So, a quit claim deed was filled out and recorded at the clerk of the circuit court. However,...

Adding my husbands name to the deed of our home [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to add my husbands name to the deed of our home

Adding a name on a deed in Virginia [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps? Do I need an attorney?

View more questions Search