Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pkingjr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 05:26 AM
    Can child support be stopped if the child no longer lives with me?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2010, 05:27 AM

Hello p:

Sure. It's for your CHILD - not you.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2010, 06:23 AM

I will disagree somewhat with my colleague - depends on where the child is living and also on the State. In NY IF the child is at college the custodial parent continues to receive support because that parent still maintains a home (and all that goes with that) for breaks, vacations, stability.

If the child is somewhere living with a boyfriend or girlfriend, no, support stops.

What is the specific situation?

Oct 19, 2010, 07:14 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    The child actually moved to another country and she is 13 years old

Oct 19, 2010, 07:19 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Ok thanks
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2010, 07:32 AM

Hello again, p:

The question remains, WHO is supporting the child, and under WHAT custody arrangement is she living?

Irrespective of the above, if you're supporting her, you're still entitled to child support. But, if you're not, what I said above is true. Whomever is sending child support, should be sending it to whomever is supporting her.

The change apparently occurred WITHOUT the courts approval, so there's OTHER issues at work here. You could be in jeopardy.

excon

Oct 19, 2010, 11:52 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Well I'm not in Jeopardy this is happening to a friend of mine, his daughter no longer lives with her mother she lives in Trinidad with his parents but the mother of the child getting child support what should my friend do about this?
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2010, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pkingjr View Post
    what should my friend do about this?
    Hello again, p:

Get the address of the parents in Trinidad and send the money there.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2010, 12:48 PM

Unfortunately where I am concerned when you start by saying "me" and then change it to "my friend" you lose credibility.

Agree with Excon - either have your friend go back to Court and ask that the Order be changed OR mail it to wherever the child is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a woman decide she no longer wants child support from father [ 3 Answers ]

I am paying child support for a daughter that is 6, that I have not seen since she was 4months. The reason, I am charged with a felony for child endangerment. Was never married to the mother, and have been paying child support all along. Mother of my child now has another child with a man she is...

How do I stop automatic child support payments from my check when child lives with me [ 2 Answers ]

I am a non-custodial parent who pays court ordered child support, the custodial parent as well as myself are in the Army I am currently deployed returning in Nov. She will be deploying in July. When I get home obviously my son will be with me because we have Joint legal Custody, how do I stop the...

How do I stop child support from the non custodial parent I no longer want it [ 2 Answers ]

I no long need child support from the noncustodial parent how do I stop it in Arkansas

Child support issue-Child no longer with custodial parent [ 22 Answers ]

My child is 18 yrs old and is no longer living with her mother.I am paying child support in New Hampshire and have recently learned through a subpoena that my daughter is living in New York state. Can child support charge me in 2 states on the same child? What steps can I take to have the child...

View more questions Search