Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsilvanu Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 01:52 PM
    Types of silver
    Hi. I am aware that silver has a metallic shine to it. My question is, is there another type of silver with a tinge of yellow to it? Is there some other metal combined with the silver? I want to polish some of my collectibles but am afraid to use silver polish as it might not be the correct polish. Please advise.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2010, 03:14 PM
    Silver is alloyed with other metals and because of impurities is never pure. Electrolytic grade silver is 99.99, sterling is 92% or so, coin silver less. Wikipedia lists alloys of silver. Silver oxidizes in air, that's what you polish off. Most "silverware" is EP, electroplate. Look at the hallmark on your pieces. Nornal tarnish has a blacky yellow color. If you have worn through the silver plate, it will be yellow for sure since almost all of the plating is done over brass, a bright yellow alloy of copper and zinc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dollar silver certificate, silver coins [ 9 Answers ]

Can any one tell me to possible value of the following $5 silver certificate 1953 A * 26405592 A $5 silver certificate 1953 A E 32214086 A $2 United States Note 1963 red seal $2 Federal Reserve Note 1976 green seal $1 silver certificate 1957 blue seal $1 silver certificate 1957 A blue seal...

Silver Plate or silver id marks [ 2 Answers ]

I have a serving fork , I think its silver plate but can not id the marks can any one help? The makers mark is a crown with the initials EP below the crown then there are four double lettered shield like marks with a mix of symbols and letters which I can name they look to be in old type letters...

Do Coins Made of Silver on the Outside Show More Wear More Than Those Without Silver? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, All! The title is my question. It would be for coins that had equal treatment that would be likely to put some wear on them. In my coin collection, I have a pretty good assortment of coins. A lot of them are silver on the outside or silver throughout them. Just to re-phrase the...

What is letters ? Types of letters ? Types of business letters [ 1 Answers ]

Letters ? Business leaters -types ?how it writes ?

View more questions Search