Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    multimastery Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Both Employee and Independent Contractor...
    How do I properly file my taxes if I worked as an Employee and an Independent Contractor at various times throughout the year?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 2, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Use a Schedule C to report 1099 income.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 2, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Correct! A Form 1040 for the W-2, with Schedule C and SE attached for the contractor income.

Jan 3, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Thanks for the helpful answers!

... Also I made less than I spent in business so I want to possibly claim a loss. Will this help to lower my overall personal tax liability by deducting legitimate business deductions and claiming a loss.

... And if I do end up owing, will I be double-taxed i.e. personal and business or just liable for only one.

(sorry for all the questions)

Thanks Again :-)

Jan 3, 2007, 01:30 PM
    You can enter legitimate business expenses on the Schedule C. The result will be a net income (or loss) which is then transferred to the 1040. Resulting in a decrease in taxable income. Your tax liability is then calculated on the total taxable income.

One other thing to consider is how you run this business. Generally the IRS considers it a valid business if you make a profit in 3 of the first 5 years. Otherwise they may rule it as a hobby. If you claim a lot of losses, you have to prove you are actually operating as a business (advertising, maintaining a business phone, separate accounts etc.). If you do you may get past the 3 of 5 rule.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2007, 03:05 PM
    The 3-in-5 rule is NOT etched in stone. Some businesses, like tax preparation, are very competitive and hard to show a profit until you build a client base.

I started my business in 1992 with ONE client. It did not show a profit until 1998, but I had a steadily increasing income flow that showed that I was on the road to profitability.

Scott's advice is solid, but as long as you can show progress towards profitability, the IRS will probably not bother you unless you show year after year of NEVER showing a profit nor any prospect of EVER showing a profit. THAT is when the IRS will hit you with the hobby loss rules.

Jan 4, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You can enter legitimate business expenses on the Schedule C. The result will be a net income (or loss) which is then transferred to the 1040. Resulting in a decrease in taxable income. Your tax liability is then calculated on the total taxable income.

One other thing to consider is how you run this business. Generally the IRS considers it a valid business if you make a profit in 3 of the first 5 years. Otherwise they may rule it as a hobby. If you claim a lot of losses, you have to prove you are actually operating as a business (advertising, maintaining a business phone, separate accounts etc.). If you do you may get past the 3 of 5 rule.
    Thanks!

When you say "tax liability is then calculated on the total taxable income" does that mean (If I owe) that I'd be subject to the employee tax rate or self-employed tax rate at 15%+.

Jan 4, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    The 3-in-5 rule is NOT etched in stone. Some businesses, like tax preparation, are very competitive and hard to show a profit until you build a client base.

I started my business in 1992 with ONE client. It did not show a profit until 1998, but I had a steadily increasing income flow that showed that I was on the road to profitability.

Scott's advice is solid, but as long as you can show progress towards profitability, the IRS will probably not bother you unless you show year after year of NEVER showing a profit nor any prospect of EVER showing a profit. THAT is when the IRS will hit you with the hobby loss rules.
    Thanks!

I'll definitely take this info. Into consideration.

Jan 4, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by multimastery
    Thanks!

When you say "tax liability is then calculated on the total taxable income" does that mean (If I owe) that I'd be subject to the employee tax rate or self-employed tax rate at 15%+.
    Only the Schedule C NET income would be subject to the self employed tax rate.

Jan 20, 2007, 07:54 PM
    So if I'm claiming a loss then I shouldn't be subject to self-employment tax right?. I assume the business deductions (schedule C) added on my personal tax return would just lower my overall tax liability... am I understanding correctly?

Jan 20, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Yep
    Jaykid007 Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 09:25 PM
    No Self employment tax if there is no profit. The net loss will offset any income such as w-2 wages, capital gains, etc.

Jan 22, 2007, 12:24 AM
    Thanks A Million Guys... I finally got it!
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Independent Contractor Qualification [ 1 Answers ]

Could a Massage Therapist or Electrologist satisfy the federal requirements to be compensated as an independent agent by a retail salon in Indiana?

Both Independent Contractor and Employee? [ 6 Answers ]

I work as a marketing assistant for a real estate company, I get a base salary that the company pays, and on top of that I get a "commission bonus" from the specific agents I work for that is paid directly out of pocket by those agents. The commission bonus is based on what those agents themselves...

Independent Contractor Estimated Tax Payments [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this forum and is in need of some advice and information. The company I used to work for, has now hired me as a Independent Contractor. I've provided them with a W9 Form so they can pay be as a vendor. However, I'm not sure if I need to pay Estimated Taxes each quarter to...

Small Jobs Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

In 2005, I worked primarily as an independent contractor, for several small companies and non-profits. Two of them were for over $600 and sent me 1099s, but three of them were under $600 jobs and didn't send me anything. Am I obligated to report these three? (I'm imagining the answer is yes, but I...

New independent contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I just took 2nd job--as independent contractor. I don't want to end up having to pay at end of tax year (2006) so can someone tell me what I need to do to pay taxes throughout year out of each check I receive so I don't end up having to pay at the end of the year next year?? I'd rather do it on...

View more questions Search