Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    em_111 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 12:25 PM
    My parents don't want me to go to Uni, what do I do ?
    I am in the first year of college, and by this time next year I need to have applied to a uni. When I have tried to talk to my parents about the courses I want to take they just ignore me. And they have suggested going straight in to work at similar jobs to themselves. I would be slightly dependent on them to pay my way through; as they have enough money and I would not want to take out too much money in loans; so what am I supposed to do ?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 12:31 PM

What are your grades in college? Do you have a plan for uni, what to take and what career to get into?

Oct 17, 2010, 12:35 PM

I am only in my first month of college so I am not entirely sure at the moment; around c and b's. I am taking quite a wide range of subject as I don't know at the moment what career I would like to pursue.
    I have been looking at at least two university quite close to were I live, and I am looking at a range of subjects, I am not certain yet.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 12:38 PM

What's in your heart as to possible careers?

Are you in the UK, Canada, or Australia?

How were your grades before college?

Oct 17, 2010, 12:39 PM

I have not any idea. My ideal career would be a photographer; but I am realastic and know that would be hard to get in to.

The UK.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 12:41 PM

What about working for a couple of years after college and then returning to uni once you can afford it on your own?

How were your grades before college?

Oct 17, 2010, 12:45 PM

That may be a good idea.
    And in gcse's I got;
    An a*
    4 a's
    4 b's
    And a c
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 12:47 PM

I thought since I was age 10 I wanted to be a teacher and even got a degree for it. I hated it! I worked for a while and ended up with a career as a librarian and LOVED every minute of it.

My point is, I had to work at a bunch of different jobs and be out in the world a while before it all came clear to me what I wanted to do with my life.

Oct 17, 2010, 12:50 PM

Hmmm. A lot of peoplehave told me teaching would be a good way to go; but I am incredibly shy so I don't think that's a brilliant idea.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 12:56 PM

I am a fantastic teacher and was able to use that talent in Libraryland. I attended workshops and then trained library staff in small groups and one-on-one to use new computer programs or library procedures. After I trained, I was the go-to person for questions. I was in charge of library volunteers, so "hired" and trained them to do certain library jobs.

Teaching doesn't necessarily meant standing in a classroom all day.

Oct 17, 2010, 12:57 PM

Hmm, thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will he have time for me at uni? [ 9 Answers ]

I recently started dating a guy I like and he began uni a few days ago, we said we will stay in touch and see each other sometimes when possible. Is this worth it, would he actually have time for me because I don't want to waste his or mine?

Uni boyfriend [ 7 Answers ]

Hey everyone,I could really do with some help here! My boyfriend of nearly 3 months has just gone off to uni. He definitely wanted to stay together, I mean was really keen, keener than me because I was worried it wudnt work but he's a very relationshippy person. So he left on sat morning, I saw him...

Uni Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hey all This is the first time I have used this so I guess I will see how it works.. I have just started my first year of uni and it is really not what I expected. I hate going to all of my classes, I have only met a few people and the uni is an hour and a half away from where I live so it is a...

Choosing the right uni course [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have just received my A level results (qualifications that lead to university for those non-UK people out there) and they were not what I had expected. I got BBC bit needed to get AAB to secure my place to do Optometry at Cardiff University. I am going to retake my A levels to get the right...

View more questions Search