Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hudson1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 10:39 AM
    No Chest Hair
    Hi. I am a 37 years old white guy and cannot grow any hair on my chest - and I HATE it!!

I feel like a total freak and it has ruined my life in so many ways. I've looked into the facts and figures and less than 5% of white males have no chest hair, which clearly means this condition is simply not normal.

I have never felt like a real man throughout my entire adult life and have never taken my shirt off in public, ever, because of the embarrassment and humilation of this abnormality. I have not had a girlfriend since I was 26 as the last one told me I had the body of a 12 year old because I had no chest hair. I will therefore never put myself in such a humiliating position ever again.

I have tried taking testosterone boosters (although my testosterone level is above average having asked my doctor to check it once when I had a blood test), rubbing minoxidil into my chest, and eating various food types which are supposed to promote hair growth, but nothing has ever made me develop any chest hair.

I guess I must have faulty genetics so that my hair folicles will not develop into that of a normal man, or perhaps I never really went through puberty? I do have a reasonable beard, and quite hairy arms and legs, but this just makes my bald chest seem even more abnormal. I can never feel like a man, and will never date another woman due to the inevitable humiliation of revealing that I do not have a hairy chest.

Therefore, as a final plea to find out if this embarrassing condition can be cured, do any guys out there know how to promote hair growth on your chest? Perhaps you too are in that 5% of men who have not developed properly? If so, how do you cope? Or should I just resign myself to being single for the rest of my life? The only option I can think of is to have testosterone injections (after all, female to male transgender patients can even grow hairy chests with ease after having these injections! ) but I cannot bring myself to visit my doctor and say why I need it. Can you help?

One last comment. I know there are loads of guys out there who wax their chests and hate being hairy. I don't get it at all. Okay fine if that's what your partner prefers, but at least you have the choice. I bet you like having the option to be hairy chested or not. Imagine never being able to grow a single hair on your chest. It's a curse! I would rather be covered in chest and back hair any day than look in the mirror and see the same old body I had when I was a child.

I expect it's a bit late for me to hope to ever have a relationship or change my body now, but I just wondered of there are any other unfortunate guys out there who, like me, have no chest hair and how they cope with it? Perhaps you even like it, though I cannot understand why!

And girls, please don't add any posts about not knowing there were guys who couldn't grow chest hair, or what's it like being a freak. I've heard it all before.

Cheers.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2010, 10:45 AM

Some men grow hair. Some do not. You may try looking into cosmetic surgery, although its expensive and not covered by insurance. Where they take hair from your head one folicle at a time, and plant them in the folicles of your chest. It may or may not work. As they can fall out after the procedure.

Good luck hon. And try to remember. Its not what hair is on your body (or lack of) it is who you are. Don't lose sight of yourself in your quest to find the perfect look OK?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 10:50 AM

Please don't equate a hairy chest with maniless. From a woman's point of view, for me at least, that has no validity. Do you really think if a woman fell in love with you she would fall out of love because you didn't have a hair chest ? I hope most of us aren't that shallow.

Your body hair is based on your genetics, but you could go to your doctor and have some male hormone injections which would probably work to reinvest your hair chest.

Tick
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2010, 02:34 PM

What tick says is true. I'm in the opposite boat as the OP. I actually have tons of body hair, that is actually longer and thicker than the hair on my head. Haha. And every girl I have been with initially speaks about how they used to think body hair was disgusting, but then they grow to accept and even like it. I am often affectionately referred to as a teddy bear.

My point is that as tick pointed out, a woman will accept you for you even if their preconceptions are the opposite. So even if a woman has the thought in her head that body hair is a must, she may come to accept and even love that you do not have any.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 02:40 PM

My mother always told me don't marry a man with a hairy chest, so I didn't.
    kpg0001 Posts: 88, Reputation: 12

Oct 17, 2010, 03:34 PM

Is there something missing from your story? Your body wouldn't look like a 12 year old's just because you don't have chest hair. I have never met a girl that cared about body hair to the extent of it getting in the way of a relationship. Maybe you should try and get into shape and carve out some pecks. 12 year old's can't grow as much muscle mass as you! So, is it a lack of chest hair AND a flabby, flat chest and torso that makes you look young because just the no hair wouldn't do it. Anyway instead of trying to get chest hair you should work on your confidence mentally instead of your physical insecurities.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 03:44 PM

You need serious mental health counseling, someone told you a silly story and you have made it affect your life.

So some girl ( not worth having) rejected you because of the hair ( well I bet it was really for something else and the hair was just one way to hurt you.

Many men have "just a little hair" so if you add them to the no hair it is a much higher umber.

But at 5 percent, do you know how many millions of men that is.

Sorry you are letting something you can not change, something has has no real notice to esp older men.
    And honestly nothing, and I mean nothing is a ugly as a old man sitting around showing a hairy chest.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 03:56 PM

Personally I find a "skinny" chest very sexy. I do not like chest hair at all.
    Hudson1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 12:45 AM
    Thanks for the responses.

To answer a few questions, my reference to the 12 year old look is purely to do with the hair. I am 5'11'' and have an athletic build with quite good muscle tone as I do work out a lot. The issue I have is that I just relate being a man to having a hairy chest. I know it sounds silly but I just can't get past it. I'm okay with t-shirt and shorts on as I have very hairy legs and so look like or more hairy than most other guys. But I'll never take that t-shirt off!

ALL of my male friends have hairy chests and in fact all the guys I have ever worked with have too. When we go on a night out they all sit there with hair sprouting out of their collars (not a look I would necessarily want!) and so I feel like there is something wrong with me. Occasionally when I have my shirt collar open someone (men and women) has said to me "do you wax your chest?!" which if I do answer I just say yes, as to admit I can't grow chest hair at all would just be mortifying!

Plus I went to an all boys school, so from the age of 14 upwards I was surrounded by boys developing chest hair and I guess that may have made me think that I have never grown up physically like the rest of them?

Anyway, I have tried to accept it and the fact that some women prefer smooth chests, but unfortunately in every day life when I am constantly seeing guys with hairy chests, I can't help but being reminded I am different. Yeah 5% does equate to a lot of men, but apart from those guys you see on holiday with smooth chests (who clearly wax of their hair anyway) I never see any other guys like me!

For me it's almost comparable to women who are not happy with their breast size as they feel it makes them feel less feminine. They spend millions on implants for example to make them feel more like a woman and more attractive to men (rightly or wrongly). Why can't there just be a pill or a cream guys can take to make them more hairy?

Thanks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 04:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post
    When we go on a night out they all sit there with hair sprouting out of their collars
    Ewww, gross. I don't think that's manly. It looks more like a primate to me. :eek:
    charlie59horse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2010, 04:33 PM
    Relax man! I have to agree with the majority here that the girl not interested in you was simply someone not worth having. First of all there are doctors that indeed do perform chest hair transplants. Just surf the web for more info on this. One site I discovered was from a doctor in Florida and included before and after pics. I am sure the procedure is quite expensive; therefore, you have to factor in costs versus the importance of the procedure. I workout and shower at my gym at least five times a week. Obviously, I see many men with a wide range of hair distribution. Some shave, some trim, and some wax while others, including myself, go natural. I consider myself to be moderately hairy with a body hair pattern very similar to my fathers. That is where the genetics come into play. Is your father hairless on his chest? If you have brothers are they bare chested as well? This may help answer your questions as to why your chest is hairless. No doubt the chest hair transplant is the option for you. By the way, I find myself as one of the few men at my gym that actually displays natural body hair and pubic hair. You seem to have the Look that a lot of men want.
    whocares2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2011, 09:50 AM
    When I read your post, it was as if I wrote it myself. I am now 51 years old and have never had any chest hair. I have felt exactly the same as you. I don't feel like a man and do not take my shirt off in public. When I go to the beach, I actually get depressed when I see every guy on the beach with chest hair except for me. You said you have a decent beard and have hairy legs. My legs have never been really hairy and I have never been able to grow a beard. Appreciate the fact that at least you can grow a beard.
    cool_arav2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2013, 06:43 AM
    This kind of feeling is very natural.. I got hair on my chest.. But if it was not there even I would have felt under developed.. empty chest doesnot look good..
    sam37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2013, 08:40 PM
    You know what it's a gift, you need not shave. It also shows you have evolved genes not like cave man. So be happy. Build up your body oil it tan it , and then see who dares to treat you like a boy.
    damascux Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
    Work out! I have the same problem, I am 26 and only have a little hair around my nipples. Sometimes I shave the nipples... but I usually don't worry about it.

Work Out! You were given a perfectly shaven chest naturally, lots of guys would kill for that; especially body builders. Sculpt that chest into something you can be proud of instead of wishing you had something to hide what your not.

No chest hair, no back hair, no hair, thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chest burns what should I do? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, today I woke up, an took my meds. I take Procardia, Prozac, and Concerta, I have been taking these for while. Also I have never experienced this burning sensation with them. Except right across my whole chest it burns. My breasts burn etc.They are sore to touch, and also there is like a burning...

Chest hair, too much! [ 8 Answers ]

How do I remove the hair from chest, lower belly, pubic parts and legs? I would not prefer shaving, but anything like cream or any method, that would leave my skin at least hairless?

Removing chest hair [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a 25 year old guy... want to know the best way to remove chest hair.. don't want to use any razor... any hair removal cream useful.. please tell me

Hair around nipples, on chest, face [ 6 Answers ]

How common is it for women to have a lot of hair around their nipples (percentage)? On their chest? As I have gotten older (I'm now 42), I have gotten a lot of hair in these places, and I am also getting longer (but very thin) hair on my upper lip and more and more little black hairs on my chin....

About the chest [ 2 Answers ]

Is is true that when you lose weight you alos lose weight in your chest?? That is what I am trying to do... for most of the part I am trying to lose weight for me and then my chest.:confused:

View more questions Search