Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Laura0 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2010, 11:40 PM
    What Happens When You Take 13 Advil At Once?
    Hi, I Just took 13 Advil at once, and I am wondering what's going to happen to me. I don't take Advil very often and if I do, I only take one. I also took 9 last night plus something else,I don't now what it was, but nothing really happened. Please do not letcher me, I have heard it before. Thanks for your help.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 11:41 PM

You could go into painful kidney or liver failure.

Why are you doing this? It's not going to kill you if that is what you are after. Well, at least not now.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 11:46 PM

Have you talked to someone about this? You said not to lecture, but you do realize that this isn't good for you, right?

Talk to your parents, or an adult you trust. Get some help. There are better ways to handle this then taking a lot of pills. Okay?
    Laura0 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2010, 11:47 PM
    Comment on J_9's post
    How long will the Kidney or Liver failure take to happen? And Thanks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 11:52 PM

Years. It will take years.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 12:17 AM

Laura, maybe you'd like to talk about what's going on, why things are so bad that you're trying to end things.

I know that life can be tough, we've all been through rough times, depression, even worse. There is help though. I know you've probably heard that before, you may have even tried to get help before, but there are many options, and sometimes it can take some time before you find the right therapy, be it a psychiatrist, or medication, for you.

Why not give life a chance? Why not try to get help so you can feel better? This isn't the way. Trust me on this.

We can help you if you give us a chance. Why not give it a try?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 17, 2010, 03:02 AM
    Sooner or later you will take enough to burn out the lining of your stomach and you will have all sorts of medical grief that will just mean that you suffer physically as well as emotionally. You are giving every indication of a 'cry for help,' not a true desire to stop living, so get that help before it's forced on you in a dreary mental hospital. Answer below if you are not near an all purpose clinic that has people in mental health. Often a good social worker makes a very good practical therapist; not everyone needs a psychologist or psychiatrist. You might benefit from something as easy as a once a week group to talk it out with others with similar feelings. Basically we all share pretty much the same feelings - hurt, anger, sadness. How much life deals us and how we deal with it all is really all that determines who needs therapy and who can overcome adversity without it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2010, 09:27 AM

LauraO, I agree with what has been said. If you are playing Russian Roulette with pills you need to talk to someone.

As far as liver failure, kidney failure - my late husband had end stage kidney disease, was on dialysis. Dialysis is a painful, necessary procedure, time consuming, fatiguing.

He ultimately died a slow, unpleasant, painful, prolonged death. I know, I sat next to him and held his hand.

You need to talk to someone and find out why you don't want to live (if you don't already know). On another note - don't put someone else through the agony of watching you die of organ failure.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2010, 10:48 AM

Laura please come back and speak to us. Let us know what is going on that is making you want to take so much medication. Know we are here for you. And love you.
    sam1000111 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
    Yeah I took seven and my friends are really worried, so I wandering if anyone could tell me what will actually happen to me? Because all my friends are convinced that I am dying, but I feel fine! Anyone got any advice? And if anyone could reply A.SAP that would be brill... thank you!
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    yeh i took seven and my friends are really worried, so i wandering if anyone could tell me what will actually happen to me? because all my friends are convinced that i am dying, but i feel fine! anyone got any advice?? and if anyone could reply A.SAP that would be brill... thank you!!
    Call 1-800-222-1222
    American Association of Poison Control Centers

They can respond within seconds and advise as to any needed action.

The service is free, confidential and operates 24/7

Jun 14, 2012, 11:26 AM
    Okay so basically I have a friend who took eight and she was fine... there was nothing wrong with her and she had no side effects, she was just a little sleepy so nothing bad should happen...
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1000111 View Post
    okay so basically i have a friend who took eight and she was fine... there was nothing wrong with her and she had no side effects, she was just a little sleepy so nothing bad should happen...

So she's had a liver scan and blood work?

Jun 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    So she's had a liver scan and blood work?
    I don't think so, and okay she's a little odd, but she's fine, and I am feeling absolutely fine... It's not going to kill me is it? I'm only 15 but it shouldn't kill me... Paracetamol and Ibuprofen have NO effect on me.. not even when I have headaches etc... so surely this will just be the same? I have a pretty high immune system
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
    What does your immune system have to do with this? An overdose can harm your liver and kidneys. That's why blood work and other testing is important.

My late husband had kidney failure - it's not a pretty way to die.

Jun 14, 2012, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    What does your immune system have to do with this? An overdose can harm your liver and kidneys. That's why blood work and other testing is important.

My late husband had kidney failure - it's not a pretty way to die.
    Okay I honestly understand that you're trying to help me but you're really scaring me now! And I go to a boarding school in the middle of no where where at sick bay, they give you a Strepsel for a headache... they're shocking!!
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
    Scaring you or not scaring you - I told you the truth. What you do with the truth is your choice.

Did you read what J9, a registered nurse, said?

Jun 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
    Who's J9?
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
    #2 - above (first page). She's an RN who answered the original question.

Did you post on this thread without reading it?

Jun 14, 2012, 12:23 PM
    No no I did read it, sorry I'm a little, well, slow...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tylenol or Advil? [ 11 Answers ]

This morning after work I managed to injure myself because I'm an idiot. I was running and fell. My chin broke my fall. I ended up going to the ER got 5 stitches in my chin, scrapes on both hands and a huge scrape on my knee. They didn't give me any pain meds and I don't like the stronger...

Over the counter advil versus prescription [ 2 Answers ]

Is their any difference between taking a 8mg prescription advil, or 4 200mg over the counter advil tablets

Advil and Cough Syrup [ 1 Answers ]

My ovulation started on the 5-9th of dec my husband and I had sex all through.On Sunday the 10th I was down with a flu the doctor prescribed advil for me and cough syrup.I have been taking it though,I want to know if is okay can it affect me conceiving

View more questions Search