Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VPCipp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2010, 12:51 PM
    Wiring gone dead in garage.
    My garage was built in 1937. It has the original wiring that terminates in a four-way receptacle box. But for some reason it has stopped working. We bought the house with a updated breaker box doesn't show this line to the garage.

No breakers are tripped, I put a tester on the receptacle in the garage and it doesn't register anything. It has worked for the past 14 yrs. And now nothing. I have four 8ft. Fluorescent and a garage door opener.

I was considering running a new line to the garage and putting in another breaker. The box is made by Sylvania (200amp) service and I was thinking about a 20amp breaker.

Can I run UF 18” deep to the garage under the siding and to the existing four-way receptacle box?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2010, 05:17 AM
    The breaker could be defective, even thou on or not tripped. Checking this will require you opening the panel LIVE, this must be done by someone that knows exactly what to do.

Could be a break in the cable or a loose connection at a junction box between the panel and the garage.

Is a detached building, and the cable is underground?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dead smell in my garage [ 2 Answers ]

I bought my house about a year ago and it has this dead smell in the garage... I had the odor finders come out 2 x's and they could not find anything in the walls or the attic... they sprayed the walls both times but the odor still exits... I painted the sheetrock and that did not help so I got...

Garage wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Revised question: Im rewiring part of my garage with 12-gauge wire for lighting only. My question is this ,I used metal shield flex cable call flex MC has a black ,white and green wire in it, cable is flexable metal casing .I was wondering if this is with code for PA. I have my main power cable...

Garage Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Hi; I have a detached two car garage and I want to wire it. There is a small concrete patio that we poured between the house and garage. We put a 1 1/4 inch PVC under the ground and brought it into the garage. My father in law ran 12/3 THWU through the coduit and left it unattached. I want to...

Garage wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Well I am new here and I hope that you guys can help me out I am going to be putting in a 220v 50 amp outlet and I need to know what size wire I need to use nay help will be greatly appreciated thak you . p.s. I am going to be using this outlet primarily for an arc welder thanks

Wiring to garage [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I build a detached garage and I put 1" conduit erom house to backyard and then underground to garage.I want to instal 60 amp subpanel for feed some 220 and 110 outlets and 6-8 florecent light plus some for extrior ligts.I want to use this garage as my hobby shop so I will put some equipment...

View more questions Search