Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solve Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2010, 05:14 AM
    How to answer this by-product costing problem, please help!!
    Mandarin Corp. manufactures one main product known as MP and a by-product BP. MP sells for 6000 per ton. mktg. and administrative costs are 25% of the selling price. This product is made from 3 ingredients,A,B,C in the ff proportions and at the following costs:
    A-50%@ 2500 per ton of A,
    B-20%@ 1200 per ton of B,
    C-30% @ 1500 per ton of C.
    Handling and storage charges amount to 12% of the cost of each ingredient. The plant is divided into 5 mfg departments, of which 1,2,3 and 4 are engaged in the manufacture of MP and 5 in the recovery of BP.

The following data show the cost of direct labor per ton of ingredients handled and the percentages of the departmental factory expense to direct labor.

Department direct labor per ton %of departmental factory expense to Direct Labor
    1 175 70%
    2 350 280%
    3 240 110%
    4 150 60%

Materil a,b,c are put into process in dept 1. production is done in batches that will yield 30 tons at the end of processing of MP in dept 4. General factory exp that can't be charged to any one dept amount to 50% of the deprtmental direct labor cost for each dept.

In dept 2,there is a yoeld of only 80% of MP from the tonnage of the ingredients mixed. The other 20% is treated in dept 5,two thirds of this 20% being recovered as the by product BP, and the other third being waste.

A net profit of 65 per ton is made on the sale of BP after all expenses of every kind are charged against it. This profit is deducted from the total production cost of the main product. No charge is made against BP for the raw materials from which it is recovered.

in dept 3, there is a loss of 15% in the mixtured received from dept. 2 while 10% becomes waste which is sold at 24 per ton. No loss is incurred in dept 4

Required: diagram showing the flow of manufacturing process
    Calculate the net profit for every ton of MP sold..

Check out some similar questions!

By-product costing [ 2 Answers ]

How do I calculate manufacturing cost before separation for by products, using the market value (reversal cost) method for the following information: Sales: Main Product = $75,000 By-product A = $ 6,000 By-product B = $ 3,500 manufacturing cost after separation: Main = $11,500

How to answer this Product Costing question [ 9 Answers ]

The management of Production Life Pty. Ltd. Receives an Interim financial report on June 29th, 2003. The report covered all activities for the financial year from July 1st, 2002. Inventories of Work-In-Process and finished goods were $74,500 and $146,000 respectively as of July 1st, 2002. All Jobs...

Product costing [ 2 Answers ]

My question is: I have the following estimated(applied) costs. 1. Purchase Raw Materials 6000, 5700 direct and 300 indirect on account. 2. Estimated labor 10500 on account. For Materials I debited raw materials 5700 and overhead 300 and credited accounts payable for 6000 For Labor I...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.