Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    czepp Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Cant load windows
    I accidentally deleted a number of dll files. Now when I startup windows (98se) won't load and a message saying I need to reinstall windows appears. I tried restarting with the original install disc in drive but this doesn't work. Like a fool I didn't create a startup disc. What do I do? Please help me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 2, 2007, 08:28 AM
    You can create a boot floppy at bootdisk.com. Then boot to it and resinstall from your install disc.

Jan 2, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You can create a boot floppy at bootdisk.com. then boot to it and resinstall from your install disc.
    Thanks for reply. I tried that but my floppy drive is not working, will it work from cd? On startup I get a message saying Error Loading Explorer.exe, will this prevent bootup in safe mode or any other mode?

Oh and will downloading Ultimate Boot Disc be of any use? (cdrom)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 2, 2007, 08:38 AM
    You might have to go into your CMOS settings and make sure that your CD drive is bootable and in the boot sequence..

Jan 2, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You might have to go into your CMOS settings and make sure that your CD drive is bootable and in the boot sequence..
    I think it is, it tries to read when I switch on but there's nothing in it. I'll try all you've sussegested and let you know what happens.
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Windows XP won't load [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, My computer was fine this morning and I turned it off before I left. I was gone for About an hour, When I got home my computer was on but it won't do anything. The screen was blank. So I turned it off by the power button and waited then turned it back on, now it won't load windows at...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Windows xp won't load. Help! [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I don't know much about computers but here goes. My mum is having problems with her computer, it hasn't been switched on for 6-7 weeks, when she comes to switch it on it comes up on a black screen with pci device listings. It won't goany further than this and won't open windows. I...

Windows xp won't load/boot [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my windows xp boot. When I try to boot windows I get the screen that says: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file. I would appreciate all your help. ...

View more questions Search