Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cniewola Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 08:11 AM
    deceased parent and debt collectors
    My mother passed away, the paid off house has a home equity loan which is more than the value of the house, now credit card companies are calling trying to collect on the debt and they keep harassing me, what should I do
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 08:24 AM

So you are saying there is a credit card balance plus a HELOC which is upside down? Has her estate gone through probate? If she owed more than all her assets combined the lenders will get in line and require liquidation of assets to satisfy the loan and the credit card balance. The HELOC will likely get paid first.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2010, 08:24 AM

You have sent then a copy of the death certificate haven't you? They can go after assets in her estate... but they can't make YOU pay for them from yours. Unless you were a cosigner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt for a deceased parent [ 4 Answers ]

A credit card company filed a statement and proof of claim to collect a credit card debt against the estate of my deceased (87 year old) mother. What little money she had went right to the funeral home. This credit card account had been closed for about 2 years and she was making $100 a month...

How many debt collectors can collect for same debt? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I received a letter back in May from debt collector. I responded certified mail requesting proof that I personally guaranteed the debt. (business debt) and any further contact should be written. Received letter from original creditor stating to worked with collections agency, followed by...

Debt of a deceased parent [ 2 Answers ]

Being in Washington state I understand that I am not responsible for my deceased mother's debts. These outstanding debts are to a nursing home, hospital and pharmacy associated with the nursing home. As POA, I signed all paperwork when she was admitted so does that mean I am responsible now for...

Debt Collectors [ 1 Answers ]

I have many debts. I have one specific debt collector calling 5 or 6 times in a row when I don't answer. I have no extra money to pay. I am on disability and my husband has no income since he had a heart attack - so we are just getting by on disability. I have a Debt Collector who left a...

Debt collectors [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a debt to Starwood Vacation Owners (timeshare). They placed the debt for collection with a debt collector in 2005. A "second" debt collector has tried to collect on this same in 2007. My question is: How can two debt collectors collect on the same debt? THIS APPEARS ON MY CREDIT REPORT AS IF...

View more questions Search