Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kcpfan Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2010, 08:25 PM
    Please help me with this question!!
    Why does formal structure make some workplaces more effective, while it inhibits others?

Please give me a short explanation( 2 sentences) and 3 sentences argument to help me to understand better... thanks a lot... Please help..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 08:28 PM

Is this homework?

What have you figured out so far? Think about what companies do as their business.

Oct 14, 2010, 08:32 PM
    Organizational structure refers to the way it arranges people and jobs; so that its work can be performed and goals can be met. Formal structure may be unnecessary, when a work group is very small; but in a larger organization decisions have to be made about the delegation of various task.

Could it be my proposition?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kcpfan View Post
    Organizational structure refers to the way it arranges people and jobs; so that its work can be performed and goals can be met. Formal structure may be unnecessary, when a work group is very small; but in a larger organization decisions have to be made about the delegation of various task.

could it be my proposition?
    You have to write a paper?

Did you copy that from something?

Oct 14, 2010, 09:01 PM
    No, I don't have to write a paper... I'm preparing for my classwork assignments.

Yes, that I got from somewhere else.. but could that be used for a proposition? I just need an idea to understand clearly about it.

Please provide me an argument, it would be much helped.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 10:44 PM
    Organizational structure refers to the way people and jobs are arranged so that work can be performed and goals can be met. Formal structure may be unnecessary when an organization is very small and does creative work on a loose timetable (Theory Y). In a larger organization where work is done on a strict timetable and costs must be kept low in order for profits to be made or savings to be had, the organization must have a strict hierarchical management style, plus hire and keep efficient and competent employees who perform conventional and unimaginative tasks (Theory X).

Oct 15, 2010, 05:08 AM
    Thank you but can you give me an argument? Please
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 08:23 AM

Paragraph 2 --

Organizational structures based on Theory X have decided that people are lazy, need a system of authority so that they will work, and must have a clearly defined jobs. Theory Y, on the other hand, has as its central purpose human interaction -- realizing that people like to work, be responsible, and have self-discipline. In which kinds of organizations do Theory X work best, and in which do Theory Y work best? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each theory? Would a management style fitting somewhere in between the two be the best for an organization?

Oct 15, 2010, 08:36 AM
    Thank you so much for the helps.

Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 08:38 AM
    thank you so much for the helps.
    I guess it was good that part of my master's degree was in Organizational Management.

Oct 15, 2010, 08:42 AM
    Oh really? That's great to know though...

Wondergirl, do you have ideas about theology? Personally, I can't think of specific reason for structural frame becomes our theology? How possible is that ? It sounds strange. I don't know what happens when the structural frame becomes our theology?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 09:24 AM
    Wondergirl, do you have ideas about theology? Personally, I can't think of specific reason for structural frame becomes our theology? how possible is that ? It sounds strange. I don't know what happens when the structural frame becomes our theology?
    Yes, I know a lot about theology. Where do you get theology in any of this?

Oct 15, 2010, 09:25 AM
    All of them are from my class. So what happens when the structural frame becomes our theology, do you think?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 09:28 AM
    all of them are from my class. so what happens when the structural frame becomes our theology, do you think?
    All of what are from your class?

Where did theology come from in this? There's no theology here. Are you a non-native English speaker and have in mind some confusion about the world "theology"? Do you mean a strong opinion or belief about an organizational theory?

Oct 15, 2010, 09:32 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    I'm taking organizational theory class but there are questions related to theology. However, since you said you knew a lot about theology; therefore, I popped out a question to ask you to understand more about it.

Oct 15, 2010, 09:32 AM
    I'm taking organizational theory class but there are questions related to theology. However, since you said you knew a lot about theology; therefore, I popped out a question to ask you to understand more about it.

Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 09:36 AM

What are a few of the questions related to theology? I don't see any connection.

Oct 15, 2010, 09:40 AM
    I have a listed of questions that needed to be answers and Theology is one out of those many questions.

And here is that question I asked you: What are the advantages of the structural frame? What happens when the structural frame becomes our theology? Give examples where the theories of structural frame are self-sealing.

I don't understand how and why structural frames can become our theology?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 09:44 AM
    and here is that question i asked you: What are the advantages of the structural frame? What happens when the structural frame becomes our theology? Give examples where the theories of structural frame are self-sealing.

I don't understand how and why structural frames can become our theology?
    By structural frame, do you mean organizational theories (such as X, Y, and Z)?

By theology, do you mean that someone, maybe a manager, gets so caught up in running the organization that he becomes too invested in a particular theory and thus too rigid?

Self-sealing? I don't know what that means.

Oct 15, 2010, 09:47 AM
    By structural frame, do you mean organizational theories (such as X, Y, and Z)?

By theology, do you mean that someone, maybe a manager, gets so caught up in running the organization that he becomes too invested in a particular theory and thus too rigid?

Self-sealing? I don't know what that means.
    yes, that is what I meant

Self-sealing: when you hold on to the same pattern and you are not able to find the missing piece of puzzle. You know it will not work if you still hold onto the same pattern. If you approach a new way, it might become risky and you still might not be able to find it. So when your theory is you should stay on the same pattern and you will find it. Therefore, your theory is blocking your sight (self-sealing) for you to be able to see your own errors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

To submit a question, where is the Question Template to be found? [ 5 Answers ]

When I attempt to print a hard copy from mail received, via my INBOX. The following error template appears... Internet Explorer Script Error Line : 2021 Char : 1 Error : Unspecified Code : 0 URL : ...

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

View more questions Search