Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blitz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2004, 08:11 PM
    XP refuses to read my CD/DVD drives
    Whenever I put in a CD into my DVD drive, it won't autoplay. I have 2 drives, DVD and CDRW, and both suffer from the same problem.

The only way to get autoplay working is by leaving the CD in the drives and restarting the computer. The other way is to continually pop the cd drive in and out (sometimes twenty time!! ). Eventually, autoplay starts. It is a real hassle! :'(
    madcat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2004, 08:20 PM
    Re: XP refuses to read my CD/DVD drives
    Hi, I have the same problem.  

Whenever I put in a CD, it won't play. When I access the drive from explorer, it shows previous CD files, not the current one in the cd drive. I have 2 drives, CD and CDRW, and both are affected.

The only way to get the cd to read is by leaving the cd in the drive and restarting the computer

Also, my removable disk (digital camera) is detected but not read.

I have recently installed windows xp.  Everything was working fine as I was installing my programs and then... boom this problem.

Did you find a solution?

Any help much appreciated.
    Orlando_godinez Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2004, 12:15 AM
    About your portable it could be that it has a hard coded drive letter and its already assigned to another drive. Try changing the drive letter through Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management when your drive is plugged in. give your portable a different drive letter see if it helps.
    mad_cat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2004, 07:40 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I ended up reformatting out of frustration and the problem is now fixed.

I think the problem occurred when I tried to install old software for my scanner.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 6, 2004, 02:40 AM
    It sometimes depends on the CD itself or sometimes the CD Drive spins at a slower speed that is not compatible with the particular CD. This is common on older and slower CD drives.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help roommate moved out and refuses to pay rent [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are on a lease with someone in NC. The rent is $800. My boyfriend actually pays rent somewhere else but basically lives with me. Before the "someone" moved in I informed them that my boyfriend basically lives with me. She said okay and agreed to paying half the rent. She...

Nasty Collector Refuses Payment [ 3 Answers ]

We have been dealing with this awful woman for months now, with threats of garnishment, imprisonment, and generally nasty insults. After a call this morning, we decided to just use our income tax check to pay off the debt completely. However, when we told her that would be sending her a post dated...

O.S won't read new floppy disk drives. [ 3 Answers ]

xxxxxx OilMan6 :confused: 11 November 2005. 1733 Hrs. Central U.S. time. SUBJECT: Operating system won't read new floppy disk drives. Operating system being used: Windows XP Professional with SP#2. I bought two new Imation floppy disk drives.

Collection agency refuses payment [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to clear up 3 charges on my credit report. Had a very difficult year. Moved three times did not keep up with existing bills. I pulled credit report. Contacted 2 creditors, both in collections, both sending info and were more than happy that I wanted to make arrangements. Third one,...

View more questions Search