Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mishail82 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 12:24 AM
    My boyfriend doesn't have parental rights
    :mad: -My boyfriend has recently told me that he doesn't have parental rights for his 8 year old little girl. He is currently paying child support and really wants to be able to see his child when he wants and not when his child's mother says its okay. What kinds of rights does he have in this situation?
    highlyfavoredjb Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 01:38 AM
    mishail82,

First he would need to establish paternity of the child, you know DNA. He would have to pay for that test himself. Then petition the court to have the test results entered into the record that he is the legal father of that child. But, something is wrong how or who is collecting child support and stating the he is not the father? That is something that needs to be settled first. Most likely he is identified as the father and/or someone is lying to him. If the child support is directed by city or county like District Atty or someone like that then he needs to contact that office or if just by court order then the court clerk. It would be best to contact an attorney, but contact the court first. In order to have a court order someone had to establish that he is the father.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 2, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Whoa. The only reason to establish paternity is if there is a question about it. If he has been paying child support then there doesn't seem to be a question about it.

Did he relinquish his rights? Is the support court ordered or voluntary?

What he probably needs to do is get an attorney and petititon the court for visitation rights. That will establish a schedule of visitation, but that schedule will still be subject to the mother's approval. At least he'll have a schedule.
    buonanno Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 05:54 PM
    If he is in fact the biological father of the child ,and has not had his rights terminated or giving them up himself , he has rights.The fact that he is paying child support tells me that he still has his rights.However he has to pursue the courts to get what he wants.Does he have a parenting plan?if not he needs one , he has to petition the courts and present a proposed parenting plan.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2007, 06:35 PM
    The only way he would not have rights is if he gave them away, beyond that he has just not filed in court for visitation rights and other rights, to be established by the court.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Has there been a visitation order issued? If so and the mother's been ignoring it, then he should go back to court and ask the judge to find her in contempt. If not then he should file a motion for visitation and get it explicitly spelled out as to when and where he gets to see his daughter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

How do I relinquish my parental rights as a father. My ex-wife has full custody and will not allow me near her or my child.

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother. I have a three year old daughter. Her father has never had anything to do with her and has never saw her. We had a DNA test a couple of months before she turned three, in which he scheduled a different appointment so he would not see her. He tells me he does not ever want to...

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I guess I didn't give enough information.my children are in Missouri.I am 38 and by now I should have ny life figured out but I don't. The reason my mother wants me to give up my rights is the fact that she has had them for the past 10 years. I gave her guardianship of them when they were 3&4 they...

View more questions Search