Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2010, 05:31 AM
    Needing info about the beneficiary for my life insurance
    I didn't see a section for life insurance so I hope this section is OK.

I am raising my life insurance and I need to list my beneficiaries and it asks for a primary one which I understand but then it asks for a Contingent one. Is that just a back up beneficiary? So the primary one is who it goes to unless something happens to them then the money goes to the Contingent ones listed? Is that how it works or am I way off?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 05:36 AM

That's how it works - on MOST policies.

Primary gets proceeds if primary is alive. If not, contingent beneficiary BUT life insurance can be tricky.

It should be coordinated with a Will in many cases. Ask your agent to explain every word in every line.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 05:37 AM

You are correct - the contingent beneficiary gets the proceeds if the primary is deceased.

By the way - there is a forum specifically for insurance questions in the "Money & Services" section.
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2010, 05:39 AM

Thank you very much. That is what I was thinking but was a little confused with it. I will ask to make sure it is more clear.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 06:02 AM

Morning Adam.

You also can have more than one beneficiary and express how you want it dispersed via an addendum.
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2010, 08:24 AM

Thanks Stringer, I left my primary beneficiary as 1 person which is my mother because I am not married and really have no one else to leave it to so I chose her until I do get married. I listed my brother and sister as the contingent and split it between them. You know, it is pretty sad when you are worth more dead than you are alive. I am anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mum didn't name sister as beneficiary of life insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Please note I am based in the uk in case this affects this issue. Sorry it's a long one! My mum passed away recently and she left a will that stated me, my brother and sister get shares of her house. We didn't think there was anything more left in her estate other than this. However, recently...

Needing some info on PCOS [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am 23 years old and was just recently diagnosed with PCOS. :( I had a laproscopy done to check for endometriosis and they found 22 cyst on my ovaries. The doctor was able to remove them all. Thankfully I had no sign of endo. Being diagnosed with PCOS has been a real struggle for me. I have...

Needing insurance for incoming baby, and self. [ 6 Answers ]

I live in Arizona, and I'm about two months pregnant. Left the father of baby, after moving to California to be with him for two months, didn't work out, sob, sob. So it's rough, I have no income, as of now, and I doubt I will be making one anytime soon, very hard to find job, currently. Not...

Life Insurance/ Beneficiary [ 5 Answers ]

May 20th,2008 My X-Husband passed away Saturday 05-17-08. He has a life insurance policy through his work. He has 2 children, the oldest a daughter 24 & a son 23. His work informed us that my daughter was named as beneficiary to this policy. So the insurance co. will cut the check to her. I'm...

Needing info [ 2 Answers ]

Can I get bonded and licenced for construction work if I am a convicted felon

View more questions Search