Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Father_to_be Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 02:29 PM
    What rights do I have in all this ?
    My ex girlfriend got pregnant, and I believed with all my heart it is mine.. and then she tells me hey well I cheated on you and the kid isn't yours, even after I showed her I was going to be there and support the child and that was 4 months into pregnancy. Now she's about 7 months and says the kid really is mine and that she was being selfish, and that she wants me to be in the kids life, and to support him. But she doesn't want anything to do with me, she's been with like 4 other guys since we broke up, and now she is back with a guy that used to hit her. I was really starting to hope that the kid isn't mine because I can't stand by and let her be with a guy like that while having my kid. She constantly threatens me whenever she gets mad, or cause she always wants to be right, it bothers me so much, it makes me want to do just that, give up my rights. But at the same time if I could I would be the sole guardian of the baby.
    Father_to_be Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 02:31 PM
    What do you guys think?
    My ex girlfriend got pregnant, and I believed with all my heart it is mine.. and then she tells me hey well I cheated on you and the kid isn't yours, even after I showed her I was going to be there and support the child and that was 4 months into pregnancy. Now she's about 7 months and says the kid really is mine and that she was being selfish, and that she wants me to be in the kids life, and to support him. But she doesn't want anything to do with me, she's been with like 4 other guys since we broke up, and now she is back with a guy that used to hit her. I was really starting to hope that the kid isn't mine because I can't stand by and let her be with a guy like that while having my kid. She constantly threatens me whenever she gets mad, or cause she always wants to be right, it bothers me so much, it makes me want to do just that, give up my rights. But at the same time if I could I would be the sole guardian of the baby.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2010, 02:57 PM

Sure you're not liking her very well at this moment, but don't be intimidated into giving up your rights. If it's your baby, you have as much right to it as she does.
    You may have to get a lawyer, but you can request paternity testing so you'll know for sure. Of course you will want to support the baby if it's yours - right?
    Emona646 Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Oct 13, 2010, 03:02 PM
    Really sorry to hear this... but if you really are the farther then you have rights so stick with them! If you think YOUR child is in danger you have a right to at least get a custidy agreement or even guardianship. (this is what happened to me 2 but the guy only treatened my mum not hit her) I gruw up fine with a agreement between the parents. So if you still want to know this kid then do something about it!
    P.S I know, I'm **** at spelling!
    Hope this will help!
    Best of luck. :)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 04:19 PM

Post moved to its own thread.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 04:24 PM
    Good grief, she's got you running faster than molases in January.

The only focus you should have is this baby. When the baby is born, petition the court to have a DNA test done, so that you will know one way or the other if you are the father. If you are the father, establish visitation/custody/support.

Start keeping a journal. Your ex girlfriend does not sound mature or stable enough to be taking on the responsibility of having a baby. Start keeping track of your concerns now, including the multiple partners who may or may not be the actual father to this baby. I suspect there will be a very complicated history with her, and because she is up and down and confusing you, you need to know where you stand, starting with paternity.

IF you are the father, the only relationship you have to have with her is a cordial one, in order to avoid possible problems in seeing your child. With child support and paternity established, she cannot, on a whim, change her mind and cancel visitation on you. You have equal responsibility, and share equally the raising of this child. If you have things tidy, legally, that will make your job of being a father, much easier.

Try not to get too emotionally attached (again) to her, because had a baby not come into the picture, you would have most likely been long gone. Try to separate yourself from the baby having to mean a relationship with her. At least until you know whether you are indeed, the father of this child.

If you are, I have to tell you that I like your attitude with regard to taking on this incredible role, if you are the father. Many would have run.

AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Father_to_be View Post
    My ex girlfriend got pregnant, and I believed with all my heart it is mine.. and then she tells me hey well I cheated on you and the kid isnt yours, even after I showed her I was going to be there and support the child and that was 4 months into pregnancy. now shes about 7 months and says the kid really is mine and that she was being selfish, and that she wants me to be in the kids life, and to support him. but she doesnt want anything to do with me, shes been with like 4 other guys since we broke up, and now she is back with a guy that used to hit her. I was really starting to hope that the kid isnt mine because I can't stand by and let her be with a guy like that while having my kid. She constantly threatens me whenever she gets mad, or cause she always wants to be right, it bothers me so much, it makes me want to do just that, give up my rights. but at the same time if i could I would be the sole guardian of the baby.
    You forgot to ask a question. :)

First thing you should do, after the baby is born, and in light of her inability to make up her mind, is ask her to submit the baby to a paternity test. It's a cheek swab- painless, non-invasive, and only costs a few hundred bucks. Offer to pay.

Then, if it turns out positive, get a court-ordered custody, visitation, and support decree. That way your rights and obligations will be clear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Parental rights of the father after signing over rights in adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My son is nineteen he and his girlfriend hide her pregnancy for six months, during that time they met a couple and decided to put the baby up for adoption. After we found out about the baby they told us that they had started the process of adoption. My son said he had signed over his parental...

Civil rights my rights was not read the put me in lock up and then booked me. [ 10 Answers ]

I was arested for domestic and dui did'nt case's but on both I was not told my rights about being slient. I even asked for a lawyer but I was told I was'nt under arrest so I did not need one then they laughed. I blew once but the cop instised on taking me to police station to blow again I...

Youth and Social Work in regards to human rights and rights of the child [ 4 Answers ]

I have had to research two documents out of 4 and explain from these documents how both these documents work with clients in a fair just humane and positive manner? The two documents that I have studied are The universal declarationof human rights and the un convention on the rights of the child: ...

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

View more questions Search