Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arin_pun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Rental Lease Renewal
    I have 3 questions,

1) Is there any limit (any percentage) in hike in the rent on a house rental lease renewal in Florida?

2) Can I claim my security deposit (which is much higher than normal deposit as initially I didn't have rental history/credit history) during lease renewal?

3) Can I bargain on the renewal rate if my credit history improved during this year?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2007, 07:53 PM
    1. I don't know

2. Claim secuirity deposit for what?? Security deposit is just that, you can ask for it to be reduced for your past years good record. Personally doubt that it will work but what the heck try

3. Always bargain, never accept anything without trying to bargain.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Jan 2, 2007, 09:04 AM
    NO

NO

You don't want to do this. In order to prove your credit has improved, your landlord would have to re-run your credit which can actually LOWER your credit score to other creditors

If you are expecting a large renewal rate, arm yourself with comp property rents in the area and have a discussion with your landlord.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 2, 2007, 09:10 AM
    1) Check your local laws. There may be some limits in the percentage raise. If there is it's a matter of local law, may not even be on the state level.

2) Claim for what? You paid the security, its purpose is primarily to recompense the landlord if you leave the property damaged with a secondary purpose of covering them if you skip out. As Chcuk said, you might be able to negotiate a return of a portion of it, but its unlikely.

3) Your credit rating and rental have nothing to do with each other. I can see a landlord asking for a larger security deposit if there is no record on you, but the rent has nothing to do with that.

If the new lease include an out of the line increase, you can go to the landlord showing comparable rentals, but they can just respond; so move there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking rental lease [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter and her boyfriend signed a 1 year lease in August they have since become pregnant the house is very small 1 bedroom no room at all for a baby and all of the items needed to care for one not even room in this apartment for a kitchen table let alone a crib for baby or any other...

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

Breaking my rental lease [ 3 Answers ]

I am breaking my rental lease because I can't afford the rent and my landlord does not want to what can I do

Rental Lease Agreement [ 7 Answers ]

My roommate and I recently rented an apartment. We are already having some problems with the lessor. Upon signing the lease agreement, the leasing consultant was in a big hurry to get us through all the paperwork. She did not verbally go over all the items in the lease agreement. We were very...

10 month lease renewal? [ 1 Answers ]

What date does your lease give as the expiration date? Not every lease is for one year. Also, your lease may state that you have to give 60 days notice. If so then the landlord should have told you that your notice period expires on January 31st, rather than the lease itself. Read your lease...

View more questions Search