Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    becksrun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 09:18 AM
    Gfci keeps tripping
    I just installed new bathroom with new plugs that are wired staight into the pannel to a20 amp gfci breaker and tester shows it is wireed right but when you plug something into it,it trips no matter what I plug into it
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 09:48 AM

One immediate possibility is that you have a ground fault somewhere on the circuit you are protecting and the breaker is doing what it is supposed to. Shut off the breaker and go back to the receptacles and make sure that they are wired correctly.

Also check the integrity of the cable from the panel to the bathroom.
    becksrun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 11:44 AM
    I HAVE DONE THAT AND IT IS ALL OK. Could it be abad breaker.
    ochasmith Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 09:31 PM

Check all your terminations... a loose neutral could cause it to trip... Or it is possible you have a bad breaker... but generally a bad breaker will either not stay in the on position or the test button on breaker will not function...
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 06:51 AM

OKAY, WHY ARE YOU YELLING? I CANNOT SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!

The possibility that the breaker is defective is very real.

However, it is equally probable that there is a ground short in the wiring.

One test that I can think of is to take a multimeter and place one probe on the panel frame and remove all of the conductors from the breaker.

Now set the meter on 1k Ohms and take the other probe and touch each conductor and see is there is a 0 (zero) reading. If you see that, there is a dead short from a conductor to ground.

Let me know what you see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New GFCI Keeps tripping [ 9 Answers ]

I have just installed a new Siemens single pole 20A GCFC to wire my basement workshop. The receptacles are wired correctly and checked with a special tester. I run my bench grinder and it does not trip.. I plug in my radio (it's OFF) and the GCFI trips, I hook up a light and it trips... I hook...

Why is my new washer keeps tripping new GFCI? [ 7 Answers ]

I purchased a my washer and dryer. Plugged in both. Dryer works great, washer will trip its gcfi after a few seconds of being started. Both outlets are gfci protected, both are wired with 12 gauge wire into a 20 amp breaker. Plug the washer into a separate non-gfci outlet and washer works fine. Can...

GFCI Outlet Keeps Tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a GFCI outlet that keeps trippping. We've been in this house for years and have never had this problem. We don't have any additional appliances/lighting etc. running on this circuit or anywhere in the house for that matter. It keeps tripping after reset; sometimes immediately sometimes...

GFCI is tripping [ 5 Answers ]

I had to replace a non-working GFCI receptacle that had given us problems for 3 years or so. I replaced it today, but when the power is turned on the receptacle trips, even with nothing plugged in to it directly. Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it? It is an outside receptacle.

View more questions Search