Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2010, 05:55 AM
    New puppy
    I was wanting to get a big "tank" looking dog, but after searching for a puppy and meeting different pups (boxers, pitbulls, mastiffs, and rottweillers) I never fell in love with any of them. The other day I met a chihuaha (sp?) puppy, and I definantly fell in love. But I've read there hard to train? Does anyone have experience with them that could help me make my choice, I definantly want this pup, I haven't stopped thinking about her since I met her, but I want to be able to offer her the best...
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 06:14 AM

Emily, I am confused. Do you mind if I ask what happened to the Husky you were thinking about taking in?
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2010, 07:55 AM

The breeder took him back..
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2010, 08:09 AM
    Well, I would definitely consider your life style (do you own, rent - large home, small - yard, no yard - home a lot, gone a lot - etc), and try to match a breed of dog that will best fit your life style. Then within those restrictions if you want to pare it down based on the looks of a particular breed, by all means.

As a landlord, having had LOTS of different dog breeds come through my properties over the years, I would say that I've had a lot more damage from the little toy breeds than from the bigger dogs. I've had the most "potty" damage from Chihuahuas and Dachshunds. Obviously any puppy is going to have to be trained, but some breeds are definitely a bigger challenge than others.

I know there are several websites where you can do a "dog breed calculator" to get some ideas what might be a good fit for you.
    Marriage Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    The breeder took him back..
    I think I am very thankful for that. No offense to you or your mother. :)

As for a Chihuahua, the ones I have known tend to be territorial if they aren't socialized very well. They also have a 'big dog' attitude. They can be stubborn. But so can a lot of other breeds. However, they shouldn't be any more difficult for you than your Pug/Jack Russell (okay, Parson Russell) Terrier mix. He might accept the smaller dog better, too.

Remember to let him meet any pups you are thinking about getting to make certain he isn't going to be a problem.

The only thing I see as a problem and from what you have said before it can be worked out is your schedule and training a puppy along with giving both animals the attention they deserve and need.

What does your mother think? I know part of the reason you were looking at larger breeds was because of security. Frankly, the little guys can be great warning systems.
    Saint_Cyr Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 08:40 AM
    Have you ever look at the Bichon Fries for a dog?

Larry S Saint Cyr - Brockton, Massachusetts
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2010, 09:04 AM

Well I didn't want a small dog but I fell in live with this praticular one.. So I don't really want to start looking at dog breeds... We have a large yard, large house, and usually some one always is home.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2010, 08:39 PM

I thought I should update everyone... Good and bad news... Bad news is the lady with the chihauhau puppy was very... Disrespectful and sold the pup (with me placing a $100 deposit). But good news... While walking back to the car my sister and I were talking about how dissapointed we were when a man walked up to us and asked "are you really wanting a puppy?"... I said yeah... And he gave me a number to call for a pup (I thought it was strange) but I called the number anyway, turns out there was a farmer who had a pup left out of his dogs litter and was going to shoot it since it was becoming annoying having it around. So my sister and I took a journey up north and rescued Hunter. He is supposivly boxer\rottie but looks like a beagle, but anyway he is such and smart pup, and duke is even sharing his toys an food with him (he's usually very possesive and hates when other dogs go near his things!)! I thank everyone for there help in this thread, as well as my others, I took into consideration what everyone said, and I definantly feel I made the right disicion for my little family.
    Marriage Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 06:07 AM

Emily, I believe things happen for a reason. I am sorry you are out the money. If she sells pups she has deposits on, she may be worse than a backyard breeder and you may have dodged a lot of unknown problems.

Hunter sounds great. Have you taken him to the vet yet to make sure he is healthy and up-to-date on his shots? How old is he?

I am very glad Duke is getting along with him. Just keep an eye out to make certain it doesn't change as Hunter gets older and bigger.

I am so happy for you. :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2010, 08:19 AM

He has a vet appointment made, I took him to get a quick look by a vet assistant (all the vets were busy) just to make sure there wasn't something noticeable that could harm duke when he came home. $100 gone is definantly worth hunter!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 08:29 AM

Great news Emily, and congrats on your new family member! You know you need to supply us with pictures right? :D
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2010, 02:46 PM
    Name:  hunter.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  5.2 KB

Name:  hunter2.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  5.3 KB

Name:  hunter3.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  4.4 KB

Name:  hunter4.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  5.6 KB

Name:  hunter5.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  4.9 KB
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2010, 02:46 PM

There are some photo's of him :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 03:52 PM

How old is he?

He definitely has beagle in him. I'd say beagle is the dominant breed. But you can see that he's not pure beagle.

He's adorable.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2010, 05:20 PM

He is 8 weeks and 2 days old :) I thought he had beagle, but the guy kept saying he didn't, so I have no idea...
    Dogs Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 06:26 PM

Hehehe I don't see any rotti, but he sure is CUTE! I want to squish him and his little cheeks! :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2010, 06:59 PM

Haha I know, I think either they got the dad wrong or figured they'd lie about his breed. The only thing that remotly resembles a rottie is the brown above his eyes but that's it! The mom didn't look like a boxer either, she looked like a mini lab, but she was orange with black ears and around her eyes. I think he's just a mutt, but definantly a cute one :)

I don't know if I should ask this here or make a new question but... He has NEVER eaten dog food, he ony ever got table scraps, he is eating puppy food now but his poop is really soft, an I know pups can dehydrate fast so I don't know what to do, I'm making sure he drinks a lot but...
    Dogs Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 07:06 PM

His poops will be soft because of the drastic change in food (definitely a good thing!) Just make sure he has access to fresh water 24/7. I never took water away at nights from my (younger) puppies. If I had to clean up a little piddle, it wasn't heart breaking. Of course as they got older I limited their water intake during the night.

Remember you can always soften up his hard kibble with some warm water, this will help with water intake as well. A little soft food wouldn't hurt either, but be warned, soft food will make him gassy and maybe have the runs. ;)
    Marriage Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 07:23 PM
    When is the vet check up scheduled for? He is probably going to need a de-worming. Most pups do.

Give him some time for his digestive system to know what it should be doing. Remember that you are changing his complete diet and that will cause some gastrointestinal stress (gas and soft stools).

It sounds like mom and dad were probably a large mix of breed. I will say that he may not look much like a Rottie now, but he could surprise you.

Emily, have you seen the Pictures of Pets thread in the Lounge?
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/lounge...ts-416334.html
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2010, 03:34 AM

His vet appointment is next week, so I hope it all goes well! I haven't seen that thread but I'll go check it out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy Mill Schnauzer Puppy won't walk with a leash. [ 5 Answers ]

We just received a 6 month old Schnauzer from a puppy mill. The dog doesn't mind wearing a collar and leash, but when I get ready to lead him somewhere, he refuses to move. I have dragged him 100ft. At a time and he never gave in. I have to carry him anywhere I want him to go. He seems to have...

Why does my puppy randomly decide to not use his puppy pads anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy has been using his training pads like an expert and randomly he decides he will NOT use them anymore and uses the floor. He even went to the extent of urinating on my boyfriend who is raising him along with me. What has caused this sudden change in a matter of hours, and what can we do?

Potty training an eight month old puppy from a puppy store [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I were at a pet store a week ago and saw the cutest little 8 month old Ratpoo. He was 'on sale' as they were trying to get rid of him as he had been there for 8 months. Our hearts broke for him so we decided to take him home (we also have a 6 YO lab/pit mix girl). We put him in a...

Puppy trying to go back home? Puppy Attatchment? [ 8 Answers ]

http://bp2.blogger.com/_FAAhWpUtQZk/RuRyYXJT6-I/AAAAAAAAABE/oFHBuJrtsyU/s1600-h/buddahs.jpg Photo can also be seen at buddahs.jpg (image) Above a photo of Johnny Cash (jack russell mix). Someone gave me this dog mid August when she was 2 months old. I had her from mid August till the end of...

Puppy pining after death of puppy sister [ 1 Answers ]

In November I adopted two no determined breed puppies who were about 9 weeks old. Although they did not look alike, my feeling was they were siblings. WE have had several power outages in our area and despite having two gates barring my property the puppies were able to get out and sadly the...

View more questions Search