Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madeline17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Had Mono 5 months ago, now have pain in upper left abdomen
    I had mono for about 6 weeks in July, 06. About two months ago, I started having mild abdominal pain in my upper left abdomen. It has gotten no better nor worse during that time. It does not inhibit me from my normal activities; it's just worrying. It feels similar to how that area felt when I had mono. I know that your spleen enlarges during mono, and am wondering if my pain could still be from that. How long can mono symptoms last
    I'd just go to the doctor to find out, but I have no health insurance.. so that can't be a solution.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 1, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Mono symptoms can last a year or more depending on how serious yours was. My sister took a year and a half to be completely symptom free, hers was a VERY serious case.

I understand not having insurance, as I don't either. However, do you have a local health department or clinic? Some are free and others charge on a sliding scale according to your income.
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

Jan 8, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Although you had Mono a several weeks in July, there are some symptoms of Infectious Mononeucleosis (IM) that appears to linger on. Spleen enlargement or splenomegaly for instance.

The spleen is an organ that is a part of the lymph system that filters blood and maintains healthy red and white blood cells and platelets. Appropriate limitation of activity, including avoiding contact sports, will help prevent trauma that might cause the spleen to rupture.

Severe abdominal pain is usually rare in IM, except with spleenic rupture. This is an serious compication which may requires massive transfusions and immedicate splenectomy.

Therefore, I would acvice you to consult with your Healthcare provider regarding this issue. He/She will perform a thorough exam of your abdomen to check for an enlarged spleen.

Not having insurace is no excuse for not trying to get insurance. In fact, I would recommend that you get insurance before you are diagnosed by a Physician when most insurance carries will not allow you coverage.

Hope this answers your question!

REFERENCE(S)

1. Corey Cutler, MD, MPH, FRCP(C), 2007. MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Splenomegaly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I just had a baby 6 months ago could I be pregnant again? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am 21 years old I just had my first baby in April and it was a rough pregnancy I found out that I have an autoimmune diease which one is not clear yet we just know I clot easily. Anyhow I developed Preeclampsia in my 9th month of pregnancy and was induced 2 weeks before my due date. My...

Pain in lower left abdomen [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having pains in my lower left abdomen where my ovaries are. When I sit down, walk, have sex, even move wrong. What could cause this?

Upper jaw pain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I would love it someone could help me figure out what is wrong with my jaw I have oh and I should say that I have upper dentures about a week ago my jaw started hurting where the upper jaw meats the bottom right arcoss from your ear and only when I bite down on something any help please:)

My six month old kitten left 5 days ago... [ 3 Answers ]

I have a gorgeous 1 year old cat-Mayhem and a six month old kitten-Matilda. They are the best of friends. The both of them have a great home here and lots of love. Each day the cats beg to leave the house. They know how to open the screen and come and go as they please. The older cat has been doing...

View more questions Search