Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erinhenri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 12:24 AM
    Pay credit cards deceased?
    My mother passed away a few years ago. I was not aware of the laws of her existing debt. I continued to pay her credit card, but I'm no longer able to pay. I've never contacted them, but I just recently stopped paying - 3months behind. Along with my brother we were willed a home to which we assumed financial obligation. There is no equity in the home. Would that still make me responsible to pay the credit card? There is no liquid assets.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 13, 2010, 04:37 AM
    You are not responsible for her credit card debt. Send a copy of the death certificate.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 13, 2010, 04:40 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    And if they keep bothering you, ignore them or tell them to cease and desist. They have to sue a deceased person's estate, not the heirs.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2010, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by erinhenri View Post
    My mother passed away a few years ago. I was not aware of the laws of her existing debt. I continued to pay her credit card, but I'm no longer able to pay. I've never contacted them, but I just recently stopped paying - 3months behind. Along with my brother we were willed a home to which we assumed financial obligation. There is no equity in the home. Would that still make me responsible to pay the credit card? There is no liquid assets.

Were the cards used to pay medical bills? Has anyone used the cards since she passed away?

This should have been handled when the estate was probated.

Who was the executor and was there a Will?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens when you can't pay two credit cards? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is 68 and I am 65. We have a mom & pop business which is paid for. He had open heart surgery and we borrowed 28,000 in home equity to pay off the hospital bills that the insurance didn't pay. We have 2 credit cards with a total of $15,000. Our business has dropped tremendously. We...

IRA to pay credit cards [ 1 Answers ]

I owe $30000. To credit card companies (3) and have $30000 in an IRA. Would using that money to pay off the credit cards be advisable? I overpay my withholding taxes every year and get about $10000 back, this would cover the taxes on the withdrawal of the IRA (I think).

Deceased and credit cards [ 1 Answers ]

My dad passed away in January. There is credit card debt. My Mom is ONLY an authorized user on the cards. Do you think she is responsible for the accts.

Deceased Mother's Credit Cards [ 2 Answers ]

My Mother died May 18. This month, I returned her 2 credit card bills with copies of her death certificate, and asked the companies to close the accounts. This week, I got a letter from a law firm representing Citibank, and saying they are going to obtain a judgement against me for the debt. My...

Credit Cards-Can't pay [ 1 Answers ]

H. I am pregnant w/ my first child and in serious credit card debt. I tried to make payment arrangements for what I could afford w/ my creditors, but after approx. 3 months they wanted more than I could afford. I am in the process of selling my house for what I owe on it because I cannot afford it...

View more questions Search