Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karriegab82 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Oct 12, 2010, 10:28 PM
    If I have a letter giving me temporary custody and the child has gone back to his mom
    In aug. of 09 the mother signed a paper giving me temp. custody of my son, in nov 09 he went back to live with her. Do I still have temp custody where I could obtain his school files and medical records?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 04:06 AM

No, temporary is just that. You should go to court and get visitation and child support set through the courts.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2010, 04:10 AM

Also, if that letter was not ratified by a court, it may have no legal standing anyway.

But, if you are the legal father, you may have joint legal custody which would entitle you to those records. We need to know more about the circumstances to be able to help. Also ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Oct 13, 2010, 08:46 AM
    Why do you assume we don't have custody or child support already through the courts? The ONLY thing I asked about was if when she gave us temp custody so he could live with us, and it doesn't give an end date, if that would allow me access to his medical records and school records. I'm in Illinois, and she moved the kids, as there are three of them, to Indiana. We ARE taking her back to court because she will not allow us to see the kids even though there is a court order to do so. We are trying to prove her 26 moves in the last 6 years, by how many times the kids have had to change schools. She is LYING trying to say he is a bad dad and that is why she won't provide us the kids. So we are (HE) is now going for joint custody so he has more of a say on how the kids are raised and where they live,seeing as the fastest you can make it to her house from ours is still 2 1/2 to 3 hours away.
    WITH the temp custody I have (yes I included myself on the form so I could take care of the child also) I was allowed to register him for school, take him to the doctors, and it states I can do "anything else deemed necessary for the care of the child" Does this help?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by karriegab82 View Post
    why do you assume we don't have custody or child support already through the courts? the ONLY thing i asked about was if when she gave us temp custody so he could live with us, and it doesn't give an end date, if that would allow me access to his medical records and school records. i'm in Illinois, and she moved the kids, as there are three of them, to Indiana. we ARE taking her back to court because she will not allow us to see the kids even though there is a court order to do so. We are trying to prove her 26 moves in the last 6 years, by how many times the kids have had to change schools. She is LYING trying to say he is a bad dad and that is why she wont provide us the kids. so we are (HE) is now going for joint custody so he has more of a say on how the kids are raised and where they live,seeing as the fastest you can make it to her house from ours is still 2 1/2 to 3 hours away.
    WITH the temp custody i have (yes i included myself on the form so i could take care of the child also) I was allowed to register him for school, take him to the doctors, and it states i can do "anything else deemed necessary for the care of the child" Does this help?
    The answer to your original question is still no. What you posted doesn't change anything. The custody was remanded back to the mother so you no longer have it.

As far as "he" the father is concerned there is a lot of things he should be jumping on at this point. Did he allow her to move that far away? What kind of joint is he trying for? Joint Physical or joint legal or both?

At the current distance joint physical is out of the question at this time.

Oct 13, 2010, 05:52 PM

First, why do you attack someone who was trying to help you? You posted very little information and got an answer based on it. In addition to the answer, we tried to help further by suggesting what is needed to to get the info you sought.

We are here to help, but we don't need to be abused because we tried to help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 06:33 PM

It was questioned because most people post just like you do, and their temp custody was something the two of them wrote up on paper, maybe had notorized but never went to court.
    In the way you asked it, yes, we have to get you to tell us more of the details.

So the temp custody ended the day the children were given back to the other parent.

Oct 13, 2010, 08:00 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    No he didn't let he move that far away, she didn't mail us the court date paperwork, so she did get the courts permission, we are still going to fight it. He want both legal and physical and make her move back,

Oct 13, 2010, 08:03 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Didn't attack, I stated a fact as did the responder who TOLD me to go to the court not suggest. It was not abuse, trust me. I've seen people just flip on this site, and I did not do that.

Oct 14, 2010, 04:03 AM

Please do not use the comments feature for follow-up posts. Sorry, but from where I sit it looked like an attack. If you were simply responding to what he posted, you would not have started with; "why do you assume we don't have custody or child support already through the courts? the ONLY thing i asked about..." The question about assuming and the emphasis on "ONLY", sure indicate an attack to me.

If I understand your response to califdad you are saying she got permission from the courts to move by not properly serving you so you didn't show up at the hearing to protest the move. That should give the courts grounds to force her to return. Good luck on your case and keep us posted.

Oct 14, 2010, 09:21 AM
    Thank you and yes, that is how she got permission. In the county that we deal with YOU mail the copy of the court date to the other person, so if you don't... well you see what happen. I hope they do because it is unfair to us, who have to go get the kids, by 5 oclock our time, to have to leave here by 2 2:30 just to make it there in time. That pretty much means we can't work that day or have to work a half day just so we can get the kids. Then by the time we get them, feed them, and drive home, its almost bed time and we don't get time with them anyway. He has to work sat too, which just leaves Sunday where she picks them up by 5. it also cost 30 bucks in gas one way to go get them. Would the fact that she told the courts that the reason she wanted to move was to go to school and 2 semesters have started or past and she isn't in school help us get her to come back. You know like it kind of proves she did it just to make it difficult for us to see them??

Oct 14, 2010, 03:20 PM

You can present all of that in court when you get a new hearing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving Temporary Custody to Grandmother in another state [ 14 Answers ]

I'm having a lot of trouble financially and I would like to give my mom temporary custody of my daughter until I get myself back on track. I would like to know how do I give over temporary custody of my daughter to my mother? I live in New York City and my mother lives in North Carolina. Do I...

Father deploys does step mom need temporary custody [ 1 Answers ]

My son is joining the air guard. He has full legal and physical custody of his 5 yr old daughter. He will be in training for approx. 4 months. Does he need to give the step mom any special form of control over the daughter. Bio Mother had lost custody for various reasons from alcohol to false...

TEMPORY custody letter was giving to a friend [ 3 Answers ]

I am the mother of this child, recently I found out that she Does not want to give me back my son. She was a friend who I Trusted to help me with my child. I wrote a letter for Temporary custody. I also found out that the dyfs open up a...

Mom giving custody to state [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé has a 15 yr. old daughter who lives with her mom in Florida. He tried for several years to get custody and mom refused.now the daughter is in trouble for truancy, she is sexually active, drinks, and we think drugs. We don't want to take her now and mom wants to give to state.. does he...

View more questions Search