Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sciencefreak11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 05:15 PM
    What are the differences between human DNA and pig DNA.
    I have been trying to research the differences between human and pig DNA. I've had no luck finding any kind of information on this matter.
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Nov 23, 2010, 12:08 PM

Well, you have to decide for yourself what aspects of the genomes you want to concentrate on. You can start with comparing the sizes of haploid or diploid genomes, the number of genes, the number of chromosomes, the percentage As and Ts in the genome. A human and a pig share quite a lot of genes and whole gene families, which only differ slightly in their DNA sequences between the species. This is something one would expect, because in some cases one would a have hard time telling one from the other. What the genomes also share is of course that they are, as well as all other genomes, just long stretches of repeated four nucleotides A, T, C and G. A good place to start:

Pig: Ensembl genome browser 60: Sus scrofa - Whole genome - Karyotype
    Human: Ensembl genome browser 60: Homo sapiens - Whole genome - Karyotype

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human vs pig and chimpanzee DNA [ 32 Answers ]

Compare the DNA similarity between humans and pigs versus humans and chimpanzees.

Human VS Pig [ 7 Answers ]

I have heard that the pig is very close to humans genetically but what are the most identifiable differences between the DNA of the two?

DNA, can I get my brother to do a dna test to see if we have same father? [ 13 Answers ]

:confused::confused:I need to know who is my biological father, my mum has told me but I need confirmation. Now my brother has his own father but we are doubtful if he is mines or not. If I asked my brother to do a dna test would that tell me if he is my full brother or not??

Human DNA [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a difference between the DNA of early man and modern man ?

Storing Human DNA [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a simple and effective way of storing ones DNA for a thousand years? I define Simple as needing no power or maintenance of any kind. The DNA is obtained by Swabbing the inside of your mouth. Assume the storage location is a very cold and isolated place; such as Svalbard Island, where...

View more questions Search