Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Oct 12, 2010, 05:10 PM
    Bathtub spout problem
    Ok, here is my problem.

When I turn on the water in the bathtub and then engage the shower, water continues to flow out of the shower head and the bathtub spout at the same time—I have the gate diverter pulled all the way up.

The water comes out of the spout very rapidly, too.

Could the diverter be faulty?

Thanks, guys.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 05:58 PM

Hi jakester.
    Yes, your tub spout diverter is at fault. Some can be rebuilt, but its usually best to just replace the complete tub spout. Do you know if your spout is a threaded spout, or a slip on spout? IF you can get the old spout off, take it to a plumbing supply store, or any store that carries plumbing supplys and have them sell you the correct spout.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 07:20 PM

I agree, spouts are easy and cheap to replace. If you aren't sure which type you have look under the spout with a mirror, see a small hole it's a slip on, no hole its threaded. Slip on has a set screw and you will need to see it well to know what to use, some are hex set screws and others are standard screws
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2010, 06:04 AM

Just so you know the difference here's both spouts. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to correct a leaking bathtub spout [ 3 Answers ]

We have a leaking bathtub spout. My husband has replaced both the handles and they appear to have no leaks however the spout even with the water off has running water coming out of the pipe. We got in behind the wall and it is all dry and no leaks. We have replaced the spout head but that does not...

Bathtub spout problems [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there... We are trying to replace our bathtub set screw spout. After taking off the old one and replacing it with the new, we found that the pipe was too long and therefore leaving too much space between the spout and the tub. After trimming the pipe down and shaving off the rough pieces...

Bathtub Spout Removal. Can't tell if it's slip on. [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Moen bathtub spout that I want to remove/replace. I believe it is about 5 years old. I am not sure how to remove it. The spout has a small slot underneath, near its base. Am I right to assume it is a "slip on" type and I need to use an Allen wrench to remove it? I haven't managed to...

Bathtub spout replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Is spout offset equal on all spouts

How do I remove an old bathtub spout? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace the bathtub spout with a new one available at hardware store. I tried unscrewing the old spout barehanded and it won't budge. Can I use a wrench (I don't care if the old spout is marred), or is there a danger of breaking the pipe in the wall. I do NOT have access to the...

View more questions Search