Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zac1988 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 04:42 PM
    What size wire shoul I use to power a small home roughly 1000 feet from the power pol
    What size wire should I use to power a small home roughly 1000 feet from the power pole
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 05:06 PM

To save time before the Electricians see this post. Can you tell us how many AMP service the house will have at the breaker panel (Meter).
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 06:13 PM

Don't waste your time looking up the amperage.

You would need to have a "Calculated Load" study done and all that would give you is what is needed by the home.

Your real problem will be with the power company. 1000' is way to long of a service drop.

If they will not sink several poles to get closer to the home. Then I suggest that you look into alternate power sources such as a windmill, generator.

I would really like you to wait for TK to pick this item up as he is very experienced with service supply issues.

Regardless, 1000' of cable is not the way to go.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
    You will need to have the utility company move the power much closer to the home. There would no way to connect the wire size you would need to the lugs on a meter box or circuit breaker panel.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2010, 03:39 AM
    Not much else for me to say. 1000 feet is too far to deliver 240 volts, neverming 120 volts. As suggested, have the utility, or an electrical contractor, get the transformer much closer to the building.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the wire size for a 30amp circuit at 200 feet? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a 30amp sub-panel out to my barn from the house. The wire run is approximately 200 feet including the internal wire distance in both buildings. What wire size do I need to use? Will 8/3 with ground be sufficient?

What is the wire size for a 30 amp at 50 feet [ 1 Answers ]

What is the wire size for a 30 amp wire at 50 feet long

Non matched wire size for temp genarator power [ 1 Answers ]

I have to temp in existing 100 kw diesel generator. The load wires from the generator are paralleled 500mcm copper about 500' from the transfer switch.The existing 500 mcm are about 60' short of new location of transfer switch. I would like to use 350 al wire paralleled to run the last 60' on a...

Wire Motor for 220 outlet Power from 110 power [ 1 Answers ]

I need to wire this sander for 220 power and do not understand the diagram well enough. Currently I believe it is wired for 110 shown in picture. Please advise about correct wiring for 220. Thank you 2 attachments

Wire size for large power upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

I have a meter established at my garage that has 250 amp service. There is nothing except a single light bulb there. 100 and 190 feet away I have two piers. I need to establish. The pier 100 ft away is 100 feet long. The pier 190 ft away is 260 feet long. I need 6 30 amp plugs on short pier and 8...

View more questions Search