Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Bold Posts: 58, Reputation: 0

Oct 12, 2010, 01:29 PM
    My landlord (Baruch Singer)is not giving my security deposit for 7 weeks
    Hi,

I'm a NY resident who recently moved to California. I left from my NY apartment by aug 15 with giving them notice by July 15. Since I moved to California, I kept calling their management office for last 3 weeks and asked for my security check which is $1500 and they were like "we're sending it tomorrow" or " it supposed to go this week". It's been 3 whole weeks. Today they said I should get it by Oct 15 the latest.

I can't go back NY and I don't want to talk about legal action (court stuff) to them because I'm here and it would be too costly for me to go back and forth for it.

I don't know what to do to make them send my security check.

Any smart suggestion to make them pay quickly?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bold View Post
    I can't go back NY and i don't want to talk about legal action (court stuff) to them because i'm here and it would be too costly for me to go back and forth for it.
    Pick up the telephone. Retain an attorney.

Court stuff doesn't necessarily mean physically being there.
    John Bold Posts: 58, Reputation: 0

Oct 12, 2010, 01:41 PM

I don't have any money to give to any lawyer. I've been looking for a job here almost for 2 months. If I had a job, I wouldn't really need that $1500 anyway...
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 01:53 PM

Then try this.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2010, 05:24 PM
    Have you read your lease and/or checked your state's property code? It's not unusual for a landlord to have 30 days to return the tenant's security deposit along with a letter or statement itemizing any deductions they are taking for damages. Find out what that time frame is in your case, and then make them aware of the time frame and the fact that you KNOW what that time frame is!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2010, 06:51 PM

NYS does not specify a specific time, only that its returned in a reasonable time. A reasonable time is generally defined as 30-60 days so 10/15 is the deadline.

How many units in the building?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2010, 04:53 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    That would explain why I couldn't find it!

I would think the lease would specify? No?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2010, 06:27 AM

Hello J:

I wonder if there isn't a problem with your notice... MOST rental agreements run from the 1st to the end of the month... If yours did too, then your notice is faulty. 30 days written notice MUST include one complete rental period. Therefore, your notice legally would have covered the time between August 1st, and August 31st. So, assuming there no damage, I'll bet they're going to keep at least another two weeks rent...

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PA landlord security deposit? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have lived in an apartment community for over 4 years and have a security deposit of $1,200. Dollars that I have never received any notices about interest of if it was placed into an interest baring account, is it a law in PA that all security deposits must be deposited in interest baring...

Landlord not giving Deposit - Texas [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was residing in a place for 4 months and gave the landlord $500 as deposit. I did a mistake by not signing a contract. I moved out last month and when I asked for the deposit, he said he will give it in a day or two. Later, he said he will give it in a week. Now, aware of the fact that a...

Landlord not returning deposit (3 weeks over) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am located in CA. I moved out of a place on Jan 30, 2009. My landlord has not returned my deposit of $500. He has Not communicated with me about this though I left Him my current address. My new place is quite close To my landlord's place. I have visited my landlord twice in Past 3...

My Landlord is procrastinating on giving me my sec deposit back! [ 4 Answers ]

I moved out on March 9th, and I have been calling my landlord to see when she would be sendinf my security deposit. She wasn't answering the phone at first, so I left her messages over the course of a week or so, she never returned my calls. I called her this morning and se finally answered the...

View more questions Search