Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeunknown Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Oct 12, 2010, 12:04 PM
    Is it true that monkeys could re-type hamlet?
    If you have an unlimited amount of time, 100 monkeys, each with a type writer. Would you eventually get a complete version of Hamlet?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 12:20 PM

No.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 12, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmeunknown View Post
    If you have an unlimited amount of time, 100 monkeys, each with a type writer. Would you eventually get a complete version of Hamlet?
    HI tmeunknown,

This argument also comes in the form of a question,"What are the chances of a tornado moving through a junk yard and putting together an assembled motor car? These are favorite arguments for people who don't believe life has evolved from basic one celled animals to humans. It is an argument against the possibility of such things as mutations and natural selection giving rise to complex organisms.

In answer to your question given a FINITE amount of time monkeys and tornado's will not put together anything significant. Given UNLIMITED amount of time the answer is yes.

Regards

Tut
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Oct 16, 2010, 04:10 PM

The monkeys would be too busy breeding with each other and the typewriters would break down.

OK, I'll stop being quite so pragmatic.

It would happen eventually but it would take a very long time. Way longer than it took humans to evolve.

To take the evolution of life, it is quite possible that life has evolved through natural selection on other planets. It is not particularly likely that it has evolved in the same way as on earth. The chances of typing a specific book are way lower than that of typing any book.

However, whichever way life evolves, it does so partly because of the advantages conferred by beneficial mutations. Unless there is someone to reward the monkeys every time they happen to string letters and spaces together meaningfully they are unlikely to learn to do so in any way that moves forwards towards a piece of work which eventually emerges as Hamlet.

In other words, unlike the evolution of life, where increased survival etc leads to a selectivity of the random changes, the typing of the monkeys would rely on pure chance alone. My maths sure isn't good enough to calculate the odds of selecting the correct letters in the correct order but it would be a VERY long shot. However, it would be a finite number, therefore given that the time alocated is infinate it would happen eventually.

Of course it is much more likely that the monkeys will evolve superior intellects way before they recreate Hamlet by chance, so then they will find it a doddle.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 04:13 PM

I'm going to go with WG and say "no".
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 04:19 PM

No but they may type better than some posters here and would most likely follow the rules ( not talking about this OP)
    Pets Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    no but they may type better than some posters here and would most likely follow the rules ( not talking about this OP)
    LOL! I agree Chuck. I have to spread the rep though.

Maybe AMHD should expand, start a site for monkeys. ;)
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Oct 16, 2010, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    LOL! I agree Chuck. I have to spread the rep though.

Maybe AMHD should expand, start a site for monkeys. ;)
    So that's what the new skin is for! :D
    Pets Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by QLP View Post
    So that's what the new skin is for! :D
    LMAO! Apparently! ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 06:16 PM

But to the OP question ( bad moderator bad for highjacking thread)

If you are looking at it from a math formula, and had millions of years ( and can be go with 10,000 monkeys) or a million perhaps. There is a percentage possibility. But as with any number game, will it ever hit since one possibility is that small odd that one series of event will not happen.

But when comparing it to the normal end, where one talks about the creation of the earth, that is just one event, where life would have took thousands of events for the evolution to go. So that would be like perhaps the complete work of Shakesphere and order of his writing
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 11:29 AM

I don't understand why this question elicited responses having to do with creation and evolution. It's a simple enough mathematical question, basically boiling down to this: if you type out random letters, how long would it take to get a string of approximately 100,000 characters in a row that would be exactly the text of Hamlet? (I am guessing that the play is 100,000 characters long - if someone has a better estimate please let me know.) Here's a quick, back of the envelope calculation. Assume you have 27 English language charcters to choose from on the typewriter (26 letters plus the space key, asuming we don't care about punctuation or capitalization). In any sequence of 100,000 characters the chance of getting all 20000 correct is 1 in 27^100000, or approximately one in 10 to the 145000 power. So you would have to type out 100,000 x 10^145000 characters in order to have a 50% chance of getting one of those sequences right. That's 10^145005 characters having to be typed. To put this number in perspective - there aren't enough atoms in the entire universe to make the ink to do this work, even if each letter requires only one atom. And the time required if a monkey can type one character per second is thousands of orders of magnitude more than the age of the universe. So is it possible? Yes, from a mathematical point of view, but clearly no from any sort of practical view.
    peterbranton Posts: 123, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2011, 11:26 AM
    Oh yes, why not they work in government

Jan 14, 2011, 11:30 AM
    Comment on peterbranton's post
    Sorry a miss spelling (Government)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2011, 11:32 AM

sorry a miss spelling (Government)
    "miss spelling" is also misspelled.

Jan 14, 2011, 12:04 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Lol, thank you, but I am actually a monkey also so I am not doing to bad
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2011, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    "miss spelling" is also misspelled.
    Lmao :D

But to op, no, not as the question stands anyway

e.g. you could have an unlimited amount of time but eventually the monkeys will die, then who's going to type out hamlet :(

So immortal monkeys stand a better chance :D but theyd break the type writers :( what I'm saying is you need to be more specific to get an answer of yes, and even then its only opinion,

No one will ever know

Because immortal monkeys DO NOT EXIST :mad:

Jan 14, 2011, 12:21 PM
    The only way monkeys could type hamlet is if you remove their brain and attach electrodes into their muscles then obviously attach the electrodes to a computing device
    dosovm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2011, 10:05 AM
    of course they can. Its probability. If you close your eyes and start pushing random letters on your computer, sooner or later the letters H. A. M. L. E. T. will be next to each other. I forgot the exact equation but I think its 21!/26! That's 26 letters in alphabet - 6 letters gets you 20. Now treat everything as objects. Now you have 20 objects(letters) and 1 object(the word "hamlet") so 21 objects and the sample space is 26! So 21!/26!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 9, 2011, 10:37 AM

dosovm: you're right - it is all about probability. But your math is a bit off. The probability of randomly typing an "H" is one out of 26. The probability of typing an H followed by an A is 1/26 x 1/26. The probability of typing all 6 letters of "HAMLET" in a row is (1/26)^6, or about 1 in 309 million. So if you set your monkey down and he randomly typed letters one per second you could expect that on average it would take him 9.8 years before he's likely to randomly type the word "HAMLET." Ths assumes that the typewriter has no punctuation marks or spaces, and that we don't care about upper case versus lower case.
    dosovm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2011, 11:35 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Yeah sounds right. I just read your other comment and now I see he was asking about the whole play and not just the word.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hamlet Theme [ 1 Answers ]

I need examples in hamlet of situations and dialouge that emphasize the theme 'that love wanes with time' and instances when the oppositeof this theme is expressed? I didn't understand this at all.

Loyalty in hamlet [ 2 Answers ]

Heyyyy! I need help with coming up with a solid thesis statement for an essay about loyalt in hamlet. It cannot be something too obvious or in other words boring.

Hamlet by William Shakespeare [ 3 Answers ]

There are a variety of perceptions of Shakespeare's Hamlet. What I need a better understanding of deals with the issue about The Ghost, Hamlet Senior, being good or evil in asking his son to avenge him. Why is he "good" or why is he "evil"?

Hamlet [ 4 Answers ]

Who is hamlet?

View more questions Search