Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeunknown Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Oct 12, 2010, 11:42 AM
    If you mutiplied a number by itself and repeated could you reach an atomic number?
    Starting with the number two, multiply it by itself, then take that number and multiply itself, etc, etc.
    It's been said that if a computer counted a million atoms a second that it would take billions of years to count the amount of atoms in a gram of any element. Could you count the amount of atoms this way in a year maybe?
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Oct 12, 2010, 01:20 PM
    This is to show you how large Avogadro's number really is.
    Sixty seconds in a minute, sixty minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 365.25 days in a year equals, call it 3.16 x 10^7 seconds. So it will take only 2 x 10^16 years. I don't think I'll wait!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2010, 06:29 AM
    I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I'm taking your "take a number, multiply it by itself, take that result and multiply it by itself again and again".

The number of atoms counted after t seconds will be:

Check it. After 2 seconds, we have (2x2) = 4
    Then multiply that by itself, giving 16.

3 seconds, 16x16 = 256

4 seconds 256 x 256 = 65536

Ok, the equation is good.

In 1 gram of H atoms, there are 6.02x10^23 atoms.

Hmm, it takes only 6.3 seconds :rolleyes:

And the larger you get, the less number of atoms you have...

Now, taking a million atoms a second, you will have

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Choose a number which could be equal to number of edges of some prism [ 2 Answers ]

Choose a number which could be equal to number of edges of some prism

If I have a fein, and a state tax id number, do I need a resale number [ 1 Answers ]

I'm starting a small retail business in Illinois. I have my fein, filed my articles of incorporation, received my business licence and tax ID number. Do I also need a resale number? Thank you, Tinker216

I received a text messege from this number +639103685415. How to trace this number? [ 3 Answers ]

I received a text messege from this number +639103685415. How to trace this number?

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number. [ 1 Answers ]

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number.. ... will my SIN always be "connected" with my business? In other words, as far as Canada REvenue is concerned are they 2 different entities? I want to apply for Bus # for a sole propriatorship

View more questions Search