Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeunknown Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Oct 12, 2010, 11:08 AM
    Does philosophy have applications?
    Does philosophy have a practical application, if it's constantly being argued and changed?
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 12, 2010, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmeunknown View Post
    Does philosophy have a practical application, if it's constantly being argued and changed?
    I guess the short answer is, yes. From the point of view of ethics I think philosophy has made some very important contributions. One could argue that science has the same 'problem'. For example, Einstein coming up with a 'better' theory of time and space. In some ways it has replaced Newton's theories.

I think things being constantly reviewed and changed means we are making forward progress.
    Animus Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Dec 13, 2010, 02:01 PM
    If it helps you direct your life it is of the highest practicality
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2010, 07:47 AM

It has an application IF you want to be a Professor of philosophy...

Otherwise as a career path it is of no real practical value. Not saying its completely without value... It does provoke thought, which in the right circumstances is a good thing. Just on its own it only has value IF you plan to teach it to someone else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have this Philosophy, let me know what you think. [ 14 Answers ]

Think of existence, in the beginning as being one-lets call it the godhead. The godhead can't stand to be one so it splits into many (like cells) in one big explosion-lets call it the big bang. It finds in then, after billions of years it can't "remember" being one at and wonders why it exists at...

Philosophy Philosophy [ 2 Answers ]

When I declare that "I ought to do x" what in effect, do I mean according to Aristotle? Hume? Mill?

Philosophy [ 10 Answers ]

Is philosophy a concept or a study?

My philosophy [ 9 Answers ]

IF MY BODY WERE A CAR If my body were a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model. I've got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish and my paint job is Getting a little dull, but that's not the worst of it. My headlights are out of focus and it's...

View more questions Search