Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fianchetto Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2007, 05:44 AM
    Maybe the titans would have been better for the question, since they created the universe in the Greek mythos.

I didn't want to create the universe, only modify it to suit my needs, so I hired Zeus. Besides, he came cheap - all I had to do was to find my way out of the labyrinth and correctly answer a couple of riddles.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 05:50 AM
    I just mean that the Greek gods were never all that powerful - they each seemed rather limited in ability.

How about Hephaestus? He could have smithed up that ring for you ;)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 2, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Hey why the Greek bias why not Roman or Norse!
    I take offence to the premiss of the Greek Gods being all mighty ;)

I'd pick a Norse God over any of the Greeks any day.
    Hey no nampy pampy Toga wearing for these guys.
    Full on dead animals and horned helmets all the way.
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Well, for a start the Roman ones were pretty much the same people.

Jan 2, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Hey why the Greek bias why not Roman or Norse!!
    I take offence to the premiss of the Greek Gods being all mighty ;)

I'd pick a Norse God over any of the Greeks any day.
    Hey no nampy pampy Toga wearing for these guys.
    Full on dead animals and horned helmets all the way.

OK, Ben, just for you, Next time it's Thor! :D
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 06:04 AM
    I have to disagree, I prefer the raunchy adultery of the Greeks :p
    BossMan

Jan 2, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Hey Cap, what ever rocks your boat.
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 06:10 AM
    ;)

Jan 2, 2007, 06:10 AM
    So much for avoiding the <ancient> religious debate.:)
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 06:13 AM
    I can understand a bit of ancient greek and latin too, none of that norse rubbish for me.
    BossMan

Jan 2, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Come on the Norse god knew just how to PARTYYYYY.
    Hollowed out skulls of their enemies filled with beer and large amounts of roasted animals to chow on.
    None of the poncy grapes and lutes and whine for these boys ;)
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Lutes are awesome.

Jan 6, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fianchetto
    I, the somewhat mighty and moderately powerful Zeus decided to improve on that Other Guy's work by making the globe of the Earth a perfect sphere. I then hired a sub-contractor named Moses to part the resultant global ocean at the equator to form two great seas, leaving dry land between. I saw then an image of Saturn from the Cassini probe and thought it would be jolly nice to have a band about the Earth. So, I put a band of silver upon the surface of the Earth, at the equator, Moses having given me plenty of room to work. I saw the pics of Saturn again and realised that its rings were of larger diameter than the planet. So, I increased the length of my band by 3 inches. Now the band hovers above the surface of the planet by some amount. I wish to measure its altitude - but which instrument would best suit my needs?

a> an interferometer
    b> a micrometer
    c> a ruler
    d> an altimeter

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    OK, I, the somewhat mighty and moderately powerful Zeus have decided to torture no longer you poor mortals that are ashamed to post a (probably incorrect) solution here to give you all a break.
    It's like this:

The initial case:

C1=2*PI*r1

The "expanded" case:

C1+3=2*PI*r2

solving for r1 & r2 we have

r2=(C1+3)/(2*PI) r1=(C1)/(2*PI)

r2-r1=

[(C1+3)-(C1)]/(2*PI)

=3/(2*PI)=3/6.28= ~.48" ergo a ruler would work fine

And because the original circumference is always subtracted from itself (=0) it is arbitrary whether the initial band is a million inches, a thousand inches, ten inches, .1 inches, -10 inches - for a given growth in the curcumference, it will always produce the same change in radius no matter what the starting circumference.

The Chair recognizes Thor to come forth when ready for the next "Just for fun" mathematical conundrum.

Message delivered by,
    Fianchetto
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Great work Zeus, you show me a -10 inch band and I'll admit you're the king of the gods.

Since I got it right, does that mean I'm not mortal or what? :P

It was good fun though, looking forward to Thor's contribution.

Jan 6, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Great work Zeus, you show me a -10 inch band and i'll admit you're the king of the gods.

Since I got it right, does that mean i'm not mortal or what? :P

It was good fun though, looking forward to Thor's contribution.

>> Make me a Klein bottle, fill it with wine, and I'll pour the contents through your -10" band. And we can drink a toast to mathematics or pizza or Italian women or something.:)

>> You didn't show your work, so I'll confer upon you all the rights and privileges of Demi-god Status in good standing. :)

>> Shouldm't be to hard to find a problem that he can't solve, it's you guys I'm worried about!:)

It HAS been quite fun - Thanks for the good-natured banter - I can't give you two reps in a row :(

Thanks,
    Fianchetto
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Hehehe,

Well, I posted all the working I needed to do, as I know that the converting to circumference and back is useless. ;)

Jan 6, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    hehehe,

Well, I posted all the working I needed to do, as I know that the converting to circumference and back is useless. ;)
    Yes - for YOU, but what about the kid in the back of the class, whose primary concerns are getting enough dope and alcohol to last the weekend and still having enough left over to get the next tattoo. You might just get through to him and turn him into the next Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.:)

Fianchetto

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compressor panels too dirty to measure freon pressure? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having problems with my A/C unit. A service technician came to My house, looked at the compressor unit, and told me the panels Were full of debris that he couldn't accurately measure the freon Pressure. He asked to clean the panel for $89, which did not Include the service call, another ...

Any way to measure electricity usage by circuit [ 13 Answers ]

My electric bill has been really high! Sometimes reaching over $600 for a 2400 sq ft house. I thought it was the cost of electricity and my family constantly using the central air conditioner. However last month due to some remodeling my central air system has been disconnected and my bill only...

How do you measure the strength of a nonlinear relationship? [ 2 Answers ]

The correlation coefficient r measures the strength of a linear relationship between ordered pairs (xi,yi). Suppose you are testing the strength of a non-linear relationship. How would you modify the formula for the calculation of r? To save you time, here is one representation of the formula...

I want to measure [ 6 Answers ]

We would like to have new windows but I would like to know what size and how many I need. Where should I measure to get the right heighth and width. Is it all right to buy windows from Lowe's or Home Depot? The Sash & Storm guy said that their windows are second rate, why is this? I would like to...

Measure 11 [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I live in Oregon and I was just wondering if somebody could please send me a link or something on all of measure 11. I already know what is on there but if someone could please send me something that has all of it on there, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

View more questions Search