Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emona646 Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Oct 11, 2010, 01:22 PM
    Could I leave my puppy with my friends older dog and mum?
    I really want this puppy been dying to get one I go to high school now and am, in my opinon, mature enough. I could walk it to my friends and leve it with her dog then it would get socilized and then I would pick it up after school. Nwould it be OK? My friends mum stays home a lot so my puppy would be with someone. Is thant OK too?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 01:46 PM

I think that is a great idea, but perhaps you should test it first to make sure your pup would get along okay with the older dog.

Tick
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 02:12 PM

What else are you planning to do to socialize a new pup? Have you read up on dog training and care? Please don't go into this totally clueless. Caring for an animal is a huge job! (and lots of fun!) I love my cats, but they throw up and use their litter boxes, so I have to clean up after them (a lot), plus they have to be fed and given fresh water and have safe/comfortable places to sleep and have safe/fun toys to play with. And they want my time too, to play and to brush them and to just be with them. And cats don't have to be trained like dogs do. Cats just sort of hang out; dogs don't -- they need training and walking and hands-on care.

Oct 13, 2010, 02:38 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Yes I totally understand were your coming from but I helped bring up my m8s dog too so I know what to do and I woul walk it there and back every day plus normal walking. Is that OK u think??

Oct 13, 2010, 02:41 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Thankx so much for answering my question both of you this info is really helpful

Oct 13, 2010, 02:42 PM
    Thanks eveyone you r so helpful!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 03:00 PM

I think it's a great idea to leave the pup with your friends mom while you're in school.

I do have to ask, since you say you're in high school, how are you going to pay for the dog, it's shots, spaying/neutering, food, any health concerns that may come up?

The first year of puppy ownership is the most expensive if you get a healthy pup. Three sets of shots within 6 months, and then spaying or neutering. Are your parents helping out with the costs or do you have money put aside, and earnings coming in, to cover all of these expenses?

Oct 13, 2010, 03:12 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    Mum and dad want it 2 so they will pay and I will do the chores 4 it e.g. walking feeding.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 04:06 PM

Have you discussed this plan with the friend's mum? If she is going to be taking responsibility for the pup during the day and the training that comes with it, she should be consulted.

One thing to think about is that a having a dog is a family project. Everyone who is old enough needs to be part of the training and 'chores' so that the dog knows it can't ignore everyone but the person who feeds it or trains it. Dogs will become territorial over the person they see as their food source.

Oct 14, 2010, 12:37 PM
    Comment on Cat1864's post
    Yes its sorted with my friends mum I'm taking most of the responsibliites.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New puppy is not accepted by older dog [ 5 Answers ]

I have a five year old boxer and a 9 week old boxer. The older dog seems to not like the puppy. She attacks him, yet there are not marks on the puppy. The puppy yelps and whines but when we get the larger dog off him, he will to back to her. Is she just showing her dominance? Do you think she...

How do I get my older dog to like my puppy? [ 7 Answers ]

I have had my chihuahua puppy since he was 7weeks old- he is now 3 months. I have an older dog which is a cross and he is 12 years old. I have had the older dog since he was 1, he is as soft as anything and really well behaved. When I first brought the puppy home, the older dog was very...

Puppy wants to play/older dog wants to sleep [ 1 Answers ]

It has been 7 months since we brought our puppy home, our older dog still does not like him. My puppy has been with other dogs outside/puppy daycare/training class and there is no problem. When he is home we have to keep them separate because the older dog does not stop growling, nipping,...

Introducing new puppy to older dog [ 2 Answers ]

Hi There - hope someone can help me. We had 3 dogs - 2 Yorkies and a German Shepherd - all got on really well. Unfortunately one of the little Yorkies died and we have now got a new puppy- another Yorkie. But we have a major problem in that the German Shepherd does not appear to like her. ...

Puppy attacks older dog [ 1 Answers ]

Our new puppy (lab mix) 5 months, has started attacking our 14 yr.old lab mix when I am close to both of them. The puppy is a sweat heart except for this. We also have a 3 yr old lab that the pup is fine with. Is this a alpha thing?

View more questions Search