Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeunknown Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Oct 11, 2010, 11:19 AM
    Where did energy come from?
    I've spent some time trying to figure it out, I think... I'm no where near close. Time, matter, and energy all connect in infinite ways. If time is the existence of matter, then where did matter come from? If matter was once energy, where did energy start? We assume energy can't be created or destroyed, but it came from some where. If it was always there then matter was always there, then time has always been, and the universe has always been. But what time is, is past, present, and future, since we assume time has always been and energy can't be destroyed it can't have a beginning or end, and then there-fore no where for the middle to reside, so it can't be beginning middle and end. I assume that time is a plane made up of present points, or points of now. Our knowledge of these points creates our past, but they never move. Where did the points come from? Where did time come from? Based on our assumptions, reasons, and knowledge, we've eliminated there being a beginning of time, and an end of time, we've eliminated the possibility of energy, matter, and time being created. But if it wasn't created, then where did it come from? Repeated question. And where ever it came from, where did that come from? And so on and so forth.
    I was given a quite good explanation of the expansion of the universe, but it always trails back to that one question, "Where did it start?" or "Where did it come from?" Hypothesis: My hypothesis is that the knowledge of starting point, or "the point" of energy, matter, AND time do not exist at all. Anyone care to share your thoughts on this?

Oct 12, 2010, 08:48 AM
    Pure energy?
    Could you create pure energy? Is it possible to have solid energy? Or maybe liquid? Or does it have to have some other form?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 09:29 AM

Energy is not matter. It can be converted from matter but it does not possess the properties of matter.

Hence, energy cannot be solid, nor liquid.

Energy doesn't have any form, it is not matter.

And what do you consider as pure energy?
    Would light energy be pure?
    Would heat energy be pure?
    Would electrical energy be pure?
    Would potential energy be pure?

Oct 12, 2010, 09:34 AM
    I believe energy can be matter, and when I say form, I meant heat, motion, etc. If you believe in the theory of the "Big Bang" then you'd believe that there was once no matter, only energy. That is the energy I speak of, could we change the matter back into it's pure energy form?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 09:48 AM

Not quite.

The Big Bang theory first says that the universe was big, hot and dense. It then exploded releasing a large amount of energy. Some of that energy then became matter while the other parts of matter originally there flew off in every direction.

I will once again say, energy is not matter. Matter can be converted to energy and vice versa. But energy and matter are completely different things. If they were similar, what are their similarities?

If you believe in the Big Bang Theory, then you believe that time is a line, since this theory is based upon a timeline.

And for your last question, yes you could do that, but once again, that would require much energy, certainly not less than in your previous question, but the energy to initiate this is probably too high.
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Oct 12, 2010, 10:21 AM

Some call the exercise you are busy with metaphysics. It has nothing to do with physics in particular or science in general. The most important and evident reason is because no one can understand what you are saying. If you want to talk about this matter in understandable terms, i.e. the physics or scientific terms, then you have to stick with the language of physics: laws, theories and hypotheses inspired and supported by experiments. The language of physics has been developing for many centuries, it is the same for everyone -- you can trust it. Everyone is free to come up with his own "metaphysics", but not physics or science.

Oct 12, 2010, 10:58 AM
    Time, I believe cannot be shown on a time line, that would say, time has a beginning and an end. And we don't know that. Further more, I don't quite agree with all of the Big Bang theory. I think it is better understood with the multiple universe theory. Imagine a bowl of marbles, each marble is a universe, at the center of each universe is where the "Big Bang" would happen. Now take three marbles and see what they look like in the bowl, they all press against each other creating a small hole, that whole is all the force and gravity compressed into a dense dot. It then expands into another universe, and so on the cycle repeats. Depending on whether the universe started with energy or mass, you can decide weather there can be pure energy which is my other question. So how do we know whether the universe started with mass, or energy? Time is the exsistance of mass, but mass came from something.
    olderexgeek Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 02:38 PM
    Lol-metaphysics blah-this is what all physicists would like to know-well those that aren't warped into ignoring Newton's 2nd law of Thermodynamics and are stuck on the big bang... if Einstein's relativity theory is to hold water than in the beginning the matter/energy or both had to be created-by something outside what we know as the physical universe-'let there be light'-sonoluminesence... (Scientific American mag-1995-feb or July I believe)-to me it's an issue of Faith-I do believe there is a God-and how the heck you going to reach Him if He doesn't provide a way-build a bridge, burn some insence, sacrifice something? And I just know everyone has an opinion on this too... but seriously-evolution? Can I take a timex, an accutron and an omega, throw them into a bag, shake it for a million or billion or whatever many years, and get an oyster rolex?
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Oct 14, 2010, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by olderexgeek View Post
    can I take a timex, an accutron and an omega, throw them into a bag, shake it for a million or billion or whatever many years, and get an oyster rolex?
    Anyone is free to believe in anything he/she chooses. Besides, no one here is denying the existence of the political, cultural and spiritual aspects of faith/religion. There are realms of human activity invisible to science. As well as there are skulls impenetrable to knowledge. The point is a bit different. If you post in a Physics section, speak physics. The theory of evolution, by the way, is the result of many years of observations, measurements and classifications -- i.e. experiments. The only reason to be skeptical about it is to come up with a new experimental fact not fitting the theory. Please remind us what the "Newton's 2nd law of Thermodynamics" mentioned in your response says.
    kpg0001 Posts: 88, Reputation: 12

Oct 19, 2010, 10:22 AM

Yeah I watched that History Channel Special about the universe too. Did you watch the one about ancient aliens? Get it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much internal energy is converted to Physical Energy? [ 3 Answers ]

An 80kg man is standing on a 140kg pontoon boat. The system is motionless. The man dives off. His dive is perfectly horizontal (no PE change). The man goes 7 m/s to the left and the pontoon goes 4 m/s to the right. How much internal energy did the man convert to KE? The KE to the left would...

Importance of Kinetic and potential energy in energy reactivation [ 0 Answers ]

What's the importance of kinetic and potential energy in energy reactivation

Explain with the revelance, the importance of Kinetic and potential energy in energy [ 1 Answers ]

Explain with the relevance, the importance of kinetic and potential energy in energy reactivation

Potential Energy- Bonding Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Question: The net potential energy between two ions (e.g. Na+ andCl-) can be Represented as follows: EN =EA+ER = -A/r +B/rn (a) Calculate the bonding energy E0 in terms of the A, B, and n ...

Energy [ 2 Answers ]

Is the decomposition of gaseous dinitrogen pentoxide to gaseous nitrogen dioxide and oxygen exothermic or endothermic? How much energy is released or consumed if 11.0g of nitrogen pentoxide is completely decomposed as described?

View more questions Search