Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Parisian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 08:14 AM
    401k withdrawal by non-resident alien
    I am a non-resident alien aged 62, living in Europe and working for a US company. I have never lived in the US or paid tax there. Up until 2002 I was on the company's US payroll, and I have a 401k. Since then, I have been "localized" in France on a local payroll. I plan to retire in 2003. Will I have to pay 20% withholding tax if I withdraw the 401k amount in a lump sum? What are my options to reduce the tax bite?
    guran2 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 03:45 PM

You have no options, the withdrawal will be added to your french income and you pay french taxes for your total income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K early withdrawal by non-resident [ 18 Answers ]

Hello I was working in the US until July 1st of this year (and since 2003). Ever since I have been living and working in the UK. I had earned about $46000 gross in my previous company in the US in those 6 months. I have about $20000 in my 401K account. I was planning to transfer all my 401K...

401k options for non-resident alien (cash out or rollover?) [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a 45 year old citizen and resident of Costa Rica. I have never been a US-resident, nor did I ever work in the US. Because I have never worked within the US, I do not have an official SSN. However, I worked for a US multinational for many years in various locations and participated in their...

401K Early Withdrawal & Non-resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been living in the US since 1996. I am married to a US Citizen. We plan to move to my home country, Czech Republic, in 6 years (2013). I have less than 100K in my 401K account now, however, with my current contributions, I will likely have around 230K at 2013 (depending on the...

Early 401K and pension withdrawal and Capital gains as a non resident [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I worked in the US from Jan 2000 to May 2007 on H1-B. Moved back to India in June 2007. In March 2008, I withdrew my 401K as well as pension from Fidelity after filing W8-BEN. They did not withhold any tax on my 401K and I received a sum of $65566/- for the same but for the pension amount of...

Tax on Early withdrawal from 401k by a non resident alien. [ 2 Answers ]

I am a citizen of India. Worked in US on H1 visa for two years and then 2006 & 2007 was in France studying for a degree in Business Management. In 2007 I withdrew $36000.00 to pay partly for my education expense from 401k account established while I was working in USA. I know the amount is...

View more questions Search