Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ray steward Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jan 1, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Ntfs
    I have a hard drive which is formatted as ntfs which I want to format as fat32 so that I can put Windows98 onto it, but it refuses to reformat with fdisk, is it possible to go back to fat32 or not, any suggestions appreciated
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2007, 10:56 AM
    You don't format with FDisk. You use FDISK to remove whatever partition is on it and recreate them. You then use a Win98 version of Format to format the drive.
    kiwimac Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

Jan 1, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Scottgem is right. Use Fdisk to remove the NTFS partition and then use it again to put a new partition in place. Once you have done that then you can use the Win98 Startup disk (or Win 98 CD-Rom) to make it a Fat32 HD.
    ray steward Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ray steward
    I have a hard drive which is formatted as ntfs whic i want to format as fat32 so that I can put Windows98 onto it, but it refuses to reformat with fdisk, is it possible to go back to fat32 or not, any suggestions appreciated

Many thanks for the replies, I will put them to good use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ntfs vs fat32 [ 4 Answers ]

Just bought the 100GB version of this external hard drive: http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/portable It's formatted Fat32. I'm not finding differences that mean anything to me here, or at other comparison websites. Is there a benefit to my reformatting it as NTFS? Thanks!

Fat32 to ntfs? [ 3 Answers ]

I installed windows XP and I have Norton 2004. When I try to use the Norton Disk Doctor, it won't allow me to. I think I have a FAT32 and not NTFS. I cannot even use scandisk. If I convert fat32 to NTFS will I be able to run these programs that I am trying to run? My second question is how to...

NTFS better then FAT32? [ 1 Answers ]

Will there be some programs or hardware that I can't use if I convert my system from a FAT32 to NTFS? I currently am running windows xp professional. I had windows 98SE and then I f-disked and formated and did a full install of XP.

Why is NTFS better then FAT32? [ 2 Answers ]

Will there be some programs or hardware that I can't use if I convert my system from a FAT32 to NTFS? I currently am running windows xp professional. I had windows 98SE and then I f-disked and formated and did a full install of XP.

NTFS better then FAT32? [ 2 Answers ]

View more questions Search