Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephissexy1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 11:15 PM
    Tongue piercing, need answers, swollen tongue, don't know what to do, is this normal?
    I got my tongue pierced 5 days ago, and its still really swollen, I can't talk properly, can't eat and its sooooo uncomfortable. There is also stuff that looks furry all over my tongue, I went back to my piercer and he said just to clean it with a soft bristle toothbrush, but it still comes back. I rinse my mouth out with alcohol free mouthwash after eating every time, and I quite often gently remove the pus stuff that seeps out. I'm getting heaps annoyed with it because I can't eat or talk. Nothing helps either, I take iburofen and suck heaps of ice cubes but nothing helps. Is all this normal?
    confusedincali5 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 11:19 PM
    It sounds pretty creapy to me. I don't know what to tell you on this one. Maybe you should go see your doctor asap.
    ramona_ Posts: 222, Reputation: 47

Oct 11, 2010, 08:10 AM

The swelling of mine went down after about a week, I could eat properly by the fourth though. In my opinion you should go and see your doctor.. in the meanwhile done play with it, touch it or eat things that could rip it or move it around a lot, don't wash it with alcohol free mouth wash too much because that could get rid of the good bacteria as well as the bad. I cleaned it about 4 times a day because I also smoke. Maybe its not your fault, it could be the piercer, they couldve used; unsanitary equipment (needle, barbell, gloves). Are they a respectable establishment? Good luck and if it carries on after about a week (doesnt get better or gets worse) I suggest you take it out, you can always get it done again somewhere else on a different part of your tongue (further forward or backwards). Good luck!
    ashkeyd Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 24, 2010, 12:26 PM
    If it hurts that much.. take it out :S or talk to a different piercer about it... maybe it will go away in about a week, just wait a bit I guess..
    cutiepie06 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 08:58 AM
    Generally, the swelling of the tongue is very normal. Some people's tongues swell longer than others. However, if it's so uncomfortable, it's probably not in a spot your tongue likes. I took out my tongue ring cuz' it would bleed profusely after I had accidentally brushed a bit too hard with my toothbrush bristle. Before that happened though--during the healing process, the bottom of the bar would rub up on the floor of my mouth and it would irritate it. When I got it pierced the second time, my piercer used a spot that just a hair away from the original spot (which was more forward). Ever since, I have had no problems with its location. The primary bar didn't rub up on the floor/roof of my mouth, the swelling went down quicker than the first time and all is good. Maybe perhaps your piercer pierced your tongue quite far back? The more muscle pierced, the more/longer it's going to swell I'm sure. So perhaps just take it out... let it close... and repierce it (asking to get it closer to the front).

Otherwise, it very much depends on the person's ability to cope with such modifications.
    cutiepie06 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2012, 12:36 PM
    Swelling is very normal during the first week or so. MY question is, where is your bar placed? Back, middle, front? If it's so uncomfortable, I would recommend getting it taken out, let it close up and repierce it in a thinner location. I repierced my tongue (for a diff. reason), but my piercer repierced my tongue a little more forward than the first time, and I had no problems with it. But anyway, eventually your tongue swelling should go down, it just takes time (each individual varies). Continue using non-alcoholic mouthwash. I would recommend using a tongue cleaner rather than the tooth brush bristles--because the bristles could possibly knick you and make you bleed. If you still have problems for another 5 days or so, go see your piercer. If he/she says the same, try going to a different piercer and have him/her check it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue piercing rubber band from spacer stuck in tongue [ 3 Answers ]

6 years ago had my tongue pierced, no problems; about 3 months afterwards, I used a clear spacer w/clear small rubber band to keep it open---well, the piercing got extremely sore and when I went to take the spacer out, it seems that the clear rubber band either got stuck while taking the spacer...

My 4 day old tongue piercing has a big indent in it where the ball is. Is it normal? [ 1 Answers ]

I got it pierced 4 nearly 5 days ago Its still pretty swollen Where the ball is on top its like a big hole kind of thing and the ball sits in it basically Is it normal for that to happen?

Where can I find tongue spacers so I don't always have to wear a flashy tongue ring? [ 9 Answers ]

I love my tongue ring but I don't always want to wear and I have to work where I can't have tongue ring. Does anyone know any common stores that have them. Because I can't find them.

Tongue Piercing, white tongue, ulcer spot? [ 3 Answers ]

Pierced it 5 days ago. Situated in front of the pierced hole, there is what appears to be an 'ulcer' type looking spot. Can anyone shed some light for me please?:(

View more questions Search