Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asmallqt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 05:20 PM
    Can I be evicted from key home if I paid my back rent and only owe for the current mo
    I went to court one August 21 for July and prorated September rent up until the 21 of September. As of today date (10/09/10), I have paid all of my back rent and only owe for October. Can I be evicted for the current month without a court order? I am in the state of Va and this is what my apt staff is telling me. I need to know because I am faxing an eviction on the 15th for October rent. Is this something legal that can be done? I was also told that if you been taken to court 2 times consecutive in a year they can evict without filling for an eviction. Is this also true or a scare tactic? Thanks for all advice.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asmallqt View Post
    ... I was also told that if you been taken to court 2 times consecutive in a year they can evict without filling for an eviction. Is this also true or a scare tactic? ...
    What happened when you went to court on August 21st. The answer to your question depends on exactly what the judge ruled at that time. If, for example, the court said that an eviction order would be issued unless proof of your paying rent in a timely fashion were filed by such-and-such a date, I suppose it's possible.

What's a "key home", by the way?
    asmallqt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 06:22 PM
    "key home" was a typo it was supposed to be my home. Now when I went to court on 9/21, it was for August and prorated rent until the 21 of September. The judge asked did I owe the amount stated and I told him that it was for less and he said I had 10 day to pay the balance of what I owed. The balance was paid within that 10 day and the rest of my September rent. I am being told that another eviction does not have to be filed and I will be evicted for October's rent. Is this legal?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asmallqt View Post
    ... I am being told that another eviction does not have to be filed and I will be evicted for October's rent. Is this legal?
    No. I don't think it is.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 9, 2010, 06:57 PM

"Virginia law does not allow landlords to lock out tenants or remove their belongings without going through legal proceedings. Also, a landloard my not cut off tenants access to essential services, such as heat, water, gas or electricity, without going through legal proceedings."

From this site:
    The process of eviction

Looks like its scare tactics

However, the site does also state that the tenant can stave off eviction ONCE in a 12 month period. So if you continue to be behind, the landlord can obtain an unlawful detainer even if you do pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicted tenants owe money for rent and damages [ 2 Answers ]

We had to evict tenants due to non-payment. They damaged our property, also. They owe over $990 in rent plus over $5000 in damages. They left our property in August 2008. It took 3-4 months to repair and another 2-3 months to re-rent the house. Do you recommend we take them to small claims...

Paid the current month's rent, $1,040 [ 1 Answers ]

How do you enter this information in the double entry: paid the current month's rent, $1,040

If I owe landlord money other than rent, can I be evicted? [ 4 Answers ]

When I moved into my home in tx, I signed a 6 month lease. The electric was already on in the home under my landlords name, It took us right at a month to get it transferred over. In that month the bill was $700, I try to make some kind of arrangements with the electric company, but since it was in...

Owe back rent [ 3 Answers ]

Can the landlord confiscate my only means of transportation without any written notice?

Being evicted but I paid rent [ 2 Answers ]

My lanlord is taking me to court to evicte me for August rent but she filled the eviction papers on July 19th. I'm wondering if she is able to do that. I paid all of julys rent but late and also paid the late fee, today when I got the eviction papers they are for 400 dollars more than my rent even...

View more questions Search