Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2010, 04:27 PM
    Ugh, ferret!
    As most of you know, and as I have posted before, I have a problem child! She is my year old ferret names Chloe. I've tried looking for help else where but no one can give me any suggestions so I hope someone ANYONE on here can help me.

I got Chloe from a breeders friend

This is her story:

She was bred by a breeder who had intentions to ship her to spain. There was her and 20 other ferrets. The breeder sent them to a friends who lives by the airport (Which was over 4 hours away from the breeders) and the friend was supposed to drive them to the airport the next day and be done with them. Well the person in spain cancelled there order and this lady was stuck with 21 ferrets that she knew nothing about. She found homes for 19 of them and was stuck with Chloe and her brother. By this time they are 5 months old and have never been handled (The girl didn't know what she had gotten into). Anyway... skip a little while and my sister and I get Chloe.

Now, since she was not handled as a kit she is untrustworthy, she bites, hisses, poofs up, and would rather hide then come out and play. I don't know what to do, we tried scruffing her but that makes it worse, we've tried spray bottles, hissing back, loud noises.. and she still likes to bite.. and hold on... and on... and on.. and it is getting to the point where I can't take it anymore, I am scared to play with her, it hurts!

Tanner (My other ferret) is kind, gentle, and just last week was tossed around by toddlers and he didn't mind. He would never think of biting, he doesn't have it in him! When there out and about and people come over I have to find chloe and lock her up or she ATTACKS (not bites but full on hisses, charges, poofs, and then bites) visitors...

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 04:58 PM

Do you have a large enough cage for them for night time? Do you have hiding plces for them to go into? Do you always reach in the cage to get her out or do you just have to open the cage and she comes to you? Also sometimes playful biting is part of affection they are showing. How are they when they are both together and out and about?
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2010, 05:16 PM

There cage is about 5 feet high and about 4 feet wide with 3 levels. It's pretty big. They have pants, hammocks, blankets, tunnels, the list goes on. She has stopped biting the male ferret ( she used to visiously attack him to the point where he would bleed and cry, the dog put a quick end to that). They play together fine now, but as soon as she see's a person she runs and hides. We try and turn it into a game. She hides we coax her out and give her treats when she comes to us but then she hisses and runs... We thought she was playing until she started to bite, and it is not a playful bite, she bites and holds on to the point where we have to run her unde a tap to let go. When she is in the cage we open the top and bottom door and she usually climbs onto us from the top and then scurries down and plays a little bit and then gets moody. I've talked to there vet (she owns 12, yes 12, ferrets) and she has given me a few tips but were both out of suggestions, she also agree's that it is not playful, and that she is actually being mean. Supposivly a "playful" ferret won't give the body language mine does, she poofs up to make herself look big, which is not a sign of play...
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 06:11 PM

The body language is for sure a fear / anger instinct. I was just trying to reenforce the fact that they can give bites during gentle play and that is normal. If the vet has 12 of her own then you are already getting good advice. I know they can be playful and loving when they want to be. But as with people some don't always have the temperament you want.
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2010, 06:22 PM

Me nor my vet can come up with anything else! We've both done research but can't find anything we haven't tried... Is there a Ceaser for ferrets :)
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 06:27 PM

Well you might try a place I found and contact them for information and tips. They run a ferret rescue and Im sure they have seen their share.

Little Dudes Ferret Camp
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 07:03 PM

My tenant had ferrets and told me about this site:

Ferret Organizations & Shelters
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2010, 07:15 PM

Thanks guys I'll definantly check thoughs out!
    GGertie Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Nov 5, 2010, 09:40 PM
    Honey, your ferret is probably scared to death and reacting in the only way she knows how. She has come to accept and get along with your male ferret. She will come to accept you as well, but it will take time and patience on your part.
    Here is what I would suggest:
    Make sure she has hiding places where she can go and feel secure. You might want to move the cage to a quiet corner, out of the main traffic path.
    Don't make sudden moves around her and speak quietly. Obviously loud noises frighten her.
    Using a spray bottle, hissing at her, making loud noises and holding her under the tap will only make things worse.
    Don't try to grab her or pick her up. If she comes out of the cage and crawls on you, just sit still and let her explore you.
    She has to learn that you are not going to hurt her and the only way she is going to learn that is by your treating her gently and letting her go at her own pace.
    Good luck. Ferrets are fun creatures and very smart. Let her see that you are a gentle person and that she is safe with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ferret with Diarrhea. [ 2 Answers ]

This morning I realized my ferret had diarrhea, I've been researching all day but I can't find very much and I'm hoping someone on here can give me advise. -He is eating normally -I haven't changed his food -He hasn't been introduced to anything new -His ferret room mate is doing just fine...

I think my ferret may have just seizured? [ 6 Answers ]

I just went to go fill up my ferrets food dish and my 13 week old kit was laying in the hammock with his head sticking out and he was shaking, I called his name and he didn't look at me and continued to shake, I shook his treat bag and the same thing. I then pet him and started whispering his name...

Getting a ferret. [ 9 Answers ]

I am looking into getting a ferret, I've always wanted one and think they would make an interesting pet. I'm just wondering what do you guys think? What are some pros and cons? What do you NEED to have? What would be some things ferrets WANT? It would be in a three or four level cage (Not to sure...

Getting a new ferret. [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, I am 14 and I am going to be getting a job this march. My mom said I could either get a ferret or a cat, I think I'm going to get the ferret just because they seem so much more fun. But I am wondering what the basic's ill need? And the size of cage?. also I have a female rabbit, and I was...

Feisty Ferret [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baby ferret (kit) and I am having a hardest time potty training him. I have tried a few things. I put his "stuff" in the litter box and will still use the restroom in other parts of his cage. I also moved his litter box to where he was using the restroom the most and he'll go somewhere...

View more questions Search