Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    that1girlygirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 01:42 PM
    HIPAA violation?
    The company I work has a large database of medical records that don't belong to them meaning they do not have permission from the patient or the facility to maintain these records. Is this a HIPAA violation? When I asked them about it they told me that because the records were sent to them in error they needed to hang on to the records. I would think they need to destroy the records not keep them in a database accessible to employees.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 02:01 PM

How exactly did they acquire the records?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2010, 02:03 PM

Is this company in anyway part of a health care organization or a company that would require this sort of information?

If not, they are not violating HIPAA, but unfortunately the sender of the information is... either inadvertently or with intent. Do you know if your company has contacted the sender of this information? That would certainly be an ethical determination.

I can't think of any reason why they would need to hold onto them simply because they received them in error. That doesn't make any sense. Is it possible to go higher up and ask questions?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 02:19 PM

If they got them by error, they would return them, if someone sent them to them in error, the person who sent them did the vioation.

Please describe what is happening

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa violation? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a Hipaa violation to inform a customer at a pharmacy about the price of their medication, cash price before and after insurance if they ask? Note: the name of the medication was never spoken aloud.

Possible HIPAA violation? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Hope someone can help me determine whether this is a HIPAA violation or not. I was treated in a specialty clinic recently. At the time of checkout I had forgotten to bring money with me for the co-pay. Two other patients were waiting behind me and heard the finance person lecture me...

Hipaa violation? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I don't know if this is the right topic for the question or not, but here goes. I work in a hospital, and I was wondering if when talking to a co-worker outside of work Is it a hipaa violation to tell how many patients are on the floor, if that is all the info That you reveal?...

View more questions Search