Ask
    StormyMarie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2007, 04:10 AM
    New Lip Piercing, Have a Few Questions
    So I got my lip pierced a few days ago

I've following what my piercer said about after care:

Clean two times a day with Citrile soap and saline solution

Soak in between cleaning in sea salt mixture

Clean mouth with Listerine after every meal.

So far its doing OK, the swelling has gone down, and there is no pain or redness.

However, there is some clear/white liquid secreting from the hole, and I was wondering if that was normal, and what I can do to make it stop.

Also, The skin around the piercing has become extremely dry already, after only 5 days, and I was wondering what I could do to rememdy that.

Can anyone help, or offer some useful advice?
    Sanjay Persad Posts: 110, Reputation: 0

Jan 1, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Firstly you don't need this kinds of piercings to look good. But anyway use vasoline over the dry area. The white stuff probably meant that it got a little infected-nothing to worry about though. Just clean the area. Use anti-septics or antibiotics-gels, etc... Also this might sting but I would recommend using a gauge and putting some rubbing alcohol on it. Good luck.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 1, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Is the fluid white or is it clear?

If it is clear this is normal serous fluid and nothing to worry about.

If there is any color to it then it may be an infection.
    Sanjay Persad Posts: 110, Reputation: 0

Jan 1, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Yes J_9 is exactly correct. The two main colour it can be is white or yellow. I wonder if yor have an ulcer. Mouth ulcers are lesions resulting from the destruction of the epithelium and part of the adjacent connective tissue. This basically means the conncetive tissue on the lip might get slightly damaged hence the reason it appear dry.

Then again it can be a Cold sores (fever blisters) are small red blisters that usually appear on the lips and outer edges of the mouth. They often weep a clear liquid and form scabs after a few days. They are sometimes confused with impetigo, which usually develops between the nose and upper lip. Fluid that weeps from impetigo is cloudy and honey-colored.(yellow)

However I think that this is just a natural part of the process for the healing any wound and this includes the secretion of a white-yellow fluid (containing dead cells and blood plasma). This fluid will dry and form crust on your jewelry.
    heidibugg91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 01:30 AM
    Uhm mine is doing the same but I saw my piercer to make sure it wasn't infected. And she said it was not. She said white fluid is OK for up to a month and a half. It is showing your piercing is healing. And sanjay, no one gets piercings to look pretty of hot, they get them because they like them. If that's a problem, then don't read up on it. Anywhom, your piercing should be prefectly fine if you stick to your normal cleaning routine. I got mine done just 2 weeks ago. Its still slightly sore but she said it looked fine. Oh and I'm having ulcers inside my mouth due to so much mouthwashing, so clean it a lot just not too much or you'll be like me having a starbucks smoothie every night. Good luck. If you have anymore questions e-mail me at [email protected]
    Elian91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2010, 08:40 PM
    My piercer recommended I use spectrogel in the morning, this would help retain the moisture around your piercing, and use "dr piercing's medicated swabs", which can be found at a piercing establishment, in the evening. As for the inside of the mouth rince with non alcoholic, anticeptic mouthwash solution (half mouth wash half water) all mouthwash or those with alcohol will also dry out your piercing, after every time you eat for the healing period.

Salt water solutions are great for drawing out infection but both water and salt can dry out the skin so don't abuse the process :)
    Aileen_Verdi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2011, 07:49 AM
    Comment on Sanjay Persad's post
    You should never use ruddbing alcohol of any sort, for it could lead to irritation - the more you mess with it, it could also become infected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Piercing [ 25 Answers ]

Lately Ive been wanting a lip ring My parents are very strict about facial piercings but I wanted to know if it's a good idea or a bad one for a 13 year old with a lip ring

Skin fairness & LIP color [ 5 Answers ]

Hi , I belong to a HOT climate country. Now I think that the problem with me is that I do have a normal fair kind of complexion, but doesn't stay that way for long , like when I wash my face , it's good and all , but maybe it's due to my oily skin , or maybe other factors , maybe sweating and all...

Cut on My dogs lip [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know about a cut on my dogs lip the reason for the cut is that a dog got loose and came and fought him but before we could break the fight he got caught on the lip and he has a big cut on his lip and I would like to know if its necessary to have it sewed up or the wound would...

View more questions Search