Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adkhkr Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 03:27 AM
    Water Pipe above Electrical Subpanel
    Does the NEC permit water pipes to be routed above an electrical panel? I would be running Pex water pipes above it. I am limited to where I can put the subpanel and water pipes.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2010, 03:37 AM

No, the space above an electrical panel is dedicated to only wiring, not any mechanical system that could leak fluid down onto a panel.

If another system must be located there, then a drip pan is needed below that system to collect and drain off the fluid and protect the panel below.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2010, 02:15 PM
    I find nothing that forbids a water line above the panel. In my basement, a 3/4 CPVC line runs through the wall above the panel, 1 runs down the stud next to the panel and 1 runs 12" below the panel. We live in metro Atlanta, 2 year old house. Your local code people may have other ideas.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2010, 02:51 PM
    See Article 110 of the National Electric Code 2008 edition,

Section 110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment.
    (F) Dedicated Equipment Space.
    All switchboards, panelboards,distribution boards, and motor control centers shall be located in dedicated spaces and protected from damage.

(1) Indoor.
    Indoor installations shall comply with 110.26(F)(1)(a) through (F)(1)(d).

(a) Dedicated Electrical Space.
    The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

(b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated space required by 110.26(F)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

Seems clear to me.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 04:07 PM

TK,

Well said. Question, if the foreign system is within the 6' dedicated because of structural height, as in my garage for example. I just measured the height from the floor to the top of the cabinet is 5.5'.

The distance from the cabinet to the rafter is about 4.5'. The garage is an open rafter design and the roof would be 12' above the cabinet.

Given those heights, if I were to attempt to run a water line just under the rafter, I would be violating the space and either the water line or the panel would have to be relocated, correct?
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 11:15 AM
    TK, I did read your post. However, my panel box is in a wall stud bay-"enclosure"? 2 CPVC pipes and 1 drain pipe run across the face of the studs, 1 water above and 1 water and drain below. This is in an open utility core with a bath on the back wall. None of the piping is "in" the enclosure, but across it. "b" foreign systems implies you could run the piping above if "...provided protection ...leaks". Could not the PEX piping in the question asked by ADKHKR be sleeved in another PVC pipe that extends say 1 ft. on either side of the breaker panel and meet the code?

Oct 10, 2010, 12:53 PM

No, the code is self explanatory.

First, as I understand the NEC (section referenced by TK) you cannot come closer than 6' above the panel. This is a dedicated space.

What that means to me is that if the foreign system (say plumbing drain pipe) the drip pan can be six ft. above the panel and the pipe had to be above that.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 04:03 PM
    Comment on donf's post
    Hey Donf, If that's the case, they missed that on my house. I will say that the upper pipe, 1/2 " is buried in the FG insulation and you have to move it to see the pipe. Brian

Oct 10, 2010, 05:20 PM

They who?

When was the home built?
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
    Comment on donf's post
    COI inspection for house built in 2007.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical subpanel fed from a subpanel: is this allowed? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: Can I feed an electrical subpanel (or two) from a subpanel to the main? Thanks for your help!

Do I need an Electrical Subpanel? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 200 amp panel that is aluminum wiring. I had an air conditioner installed, and although it is on it's own breaker, it blows the main, not it's own breaker. It runs for a short time, but it always pops the main, even if almost nothing else in the house is running. Do I need to replace...

Electrical Subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

I have used all the breaker positions in my existing electrical panel. I want to install a subpanel right next to the present one. Are there any code requirements about spacing?

New electrical subpanel in firewall [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of building a 14x18' additon and a 24x30' garage (the addition is between the garage and existing house). My existing electrical panel (200 Amp), while having plenty of spaces for all of the new breakers I will need, I have decided to install a new subpanel in the garage as...

Electrical Subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a electrical subpanel(~50 amp) in my garage, if I do not feed the subpanel with a breaker from the main service of the house,would or could I tie into the main lugs of the main service to feed the subpanel? (Using the proper wire size) Would I have to use a ground rod for the...

View more questions Search