Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    statdr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2010, 08:36 PM
    Foreign earned IRA withdrawal
    Hello,

I worked overseas for 6 years and contributed to an employer sponsored IRA (American company). Now I have returned to the US and have a different employer. Since I'm not yet 59.5, if I withdrew the money and invested elsewhere, I would pay the 10% early withdrawal penalty... but would I also have to pay income tax on the withdrawn amount? It was earned while overseas so I thought would qualify as part of the foreign income exclusion... is this correct?

Thanks!
    Mark
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Oct 9, 2010, 06:03 AM
    QUOTE," but would I also have to pay income tax on the withdrawn amount? "----Yes;The withdrawal is considered income, and regular income tax is due at your personal tax bracket.Gross income,early withdrawal , for federal tax purposes is usually considered the same for state tax purposes.
    "I thought would qualify as part of the foreign income exclusion... is this correct"---No;you may(must) have already claimed your FITE on your past return(s).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 03:57 PM
    Instead of withdrawing the money, you can do a custodian-to-custodian transfer to a rollover IRA, allowing you direct control of the money for investment purposes without paying ANY taxes.
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Oct 11, 2010, 07:39 PM

QUOTE,"you can do a custodian-to-custodian transfer to a rollover IRA, allowing you direct control of the money for investment purposes without paying ANY taxes."---- Right! If you instruct the trustee of your IRA plan to transfer assets, acumulated funds(contribution and profits added) to the trustee of another IRA plan, then threr are no current year tax consequences for the transaction, rollover, I mean.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roth IRA investing with no earned income [ 1 Answers ]

I am retired with no earned income, can I invest in a Roth IRA?

IRA Withdrawal at 70-1/2 [ 1 Answers ]

I will turn 70-1/2 in July of 2007. Is it better to withdraw the required amount for 2007 prior to July, or can I wait until December? I remember reading something about if one waits too long that you have to take two withdrawals in one year. I would prefer not to have to do that. Thank you.

IRA contributes with no earned income [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a 54-year old U.S. Navy retiree living and working overseas. Based on the exclusion of foreign income, all my foreign earnings and Navy retirement pay gives me NO earned income and I therefore can't contribute to my stateside IRA. I saw in a previous post about Self-Employment Plan...

Ira for retired with no earned income [ 1 Answers ]

Retired with income from investments, social security and pension. Can I invest in a roth or regular ira?

IRA Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I would like to put a down payment on a house using my IRA account. I am a first time buyer, but my husband is not. Is there a way to avoid the 10% penalty? Also, should we have the taxes withdrawn now or wait until tax time? Thanks.

View more questions Search