Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krystalweber Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2010, 07:47 PM
    How can you adopt your step child if the father won't sign off his rights
    How can you adopt your step child if the father won't sign off his rights? My xhusband won't sign off his rights to our daughter he doesn't see her call her nothing he does email me every so many months but doesn't ask about her he is in an out of jail all the time and he is using very hard drugs and he also moved out of state I'm married now to a wonderful man who takes care of my daughter he wants to adopt her how can we and where is the best place to go? We live in Ohio! Please help me with this my daughter has wanted a dad her whole life and now she has the perfect one and she so badly wants his last name she is 8 and a wonderful child thank u >>>>>>>>>>>>>>krystal
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 07:03 AM
    The father's consent can be dispensed with under the following section:

3107.07 Consent unnecessary.
    Consent to adoption is not required of any of the following:

(A) A parent of a minor, when it is alleged in the adoption petition and the court , after proper service of notice and hearing, finds by clear and convincing evidence that the parent has failed without justifiable cause to provide more than de minimis contact with the minor or to provide for the maintenance and support of the minor as required by law or judicial decree for a period of at least one year immediately preceding either the filing of the adoption petition or the placement of the minor in the home of the petitioner.
    Lawriter - ORC - Chapter 3107: ADOPTION

How long has it been since he paid child support?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 07:29 AM

If its just about the name then you can also go to court and get it changed. If he is in her life that's really all that should matter at this point. Gather all the evidence you can and keep building your case until such a time it's a slam dunk.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 09:15 AM

First being a father is more than a piece of paper and a name.
    What he does, his being there for the child is what is more important

I know here in Georgia, merely not paying support and not visiting is not enough to take the rights away, but long term prison time can be.

Soif you want to fight this you hire an attorney and try to go though with the adoption. You may win or you may not, but to fight it out in court is your only option at this point

Oct 10, 2010, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post

He pays a little bit at a time every so many months his last payment was a few weeks ago

Oct 10, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    If its just about the name then you can also go to court and get it changed. If he is in her life thats really all that should matter at this point. Gather all the evidence you can and keep building your case until such a time its a slam dunk.
    He's into drugs and in and out of jail all the time and he goes years with out seeing her and paying anything and the last two summers he did pay some money he's about to go to prison for 17 months he lives in another state and doesn't want to sign over his rights but doesn't call or anything today he did Facebook me and asked if she could call his dad and talk to him he is staying with him till he goes back to prison its not fair to her she wants my husband to be her dad he's here raising her and supporting her and his family is so great when I left her dad its as if his family left us they don't call write or even see her and they have all the info to do so
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 10, 2010, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by krystalweber View Post
    he pays a lil bit at a time every so many months his last payment was a few weeks ago
    In that case, the only way you could adopt without his consent is if the judge were to find, by "clear and convincing evidence" that the biological father "has failed without justifiable cause to provide more than de minimis contact with the minor... ".

"Clear and convincing evidence" is a very difficult burden of proof.

"De minimus" means very slight and insignifcant.

Oct 14, 2010, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post

So he said he would sign over all his rights so do I need a lawyer to do that or is there a paper I can get from the court house an have him sign it?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by krystalweber View Post
    so he said he would sign over all his rights so do i need a lawyer to do that or is there a paper i can get from the court house an have him sign it?
    You need a lawyer because he can't just sign over his rights. You going to need the proof lined up so the courts accept it to get it to stick. It will have to be in the child's best interest.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 07:33 PM

There is no real fill in the blank forms, the signing over the rights for adoption is part of the adoption paper work and does not take effect till the adoption happens ( it is basically a package deal)

So your attorney will work up the paper work for him to sign
    ** if I understood you correct in that he said now he will sign

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get the father of my child sign off al his rights? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old baby boy with my ex, since my baby was 5 months old his father has not come to see him and he also doesn't pay any maintenance for our child. I'm more than willing to take care of my baby by myself. Please help what am I to do?

Father wants to sign away rights to child [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I go to find the forms to print off for my ex husband to sign away his rights to our child?

How would I go about getting the father of my child to sign his rights over? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr old daughter, and we live in Texas. When my daughter was 6mos. He decided being a father was too much an left to IL. I don't ask for child support, I have done it on my own and now I would like to just consider it his loss and remove any rights he may have. How would I go about...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

Step father rights to adopt? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my partner have been together over two years we have a baby together and I have a son from a previous relationship. My partner James has always looked upon my son as his own and has been there since he was 6 months old. My sons dad doesn't have contact with him as I got fed up of doing all...

View more questions Search