Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Saucheech Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 09:53 PM
    Water on floor no ceiling stains where is the water coming from
    Water on bathroom throwrug, no ceiling stains cracks etc. Attic over bathroom no leaks in plumbing under vanity sink or toilet. Where did the water come from?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2010, 04:37 AM
    If you have the time you can use this method(as I have done this more than a few times)

Lay down a bath towel where the water seems to be pooling,keep a constant eye on that area,every once in a while if you don't see immediate results, until you see a line form, it will be wider where the water is coming from,and as it begins to be absorbed by the towel,the line will move downhill from the point of entry.(making sort of a triangle, or a round pool)

If it's a triangle,the widest spot is the initial leak area,if a pool,it's from below the surface.

Water can leak from the Wax ring under the toilet under floors,the water line leading to the toilet,or at the tank,water lines from the base of the sink,the sink drain,etc,etc,etc.

If you can single out which one has the leak,then you can pinpoint the leak.

Hope this gave you a good idea or 2:)

KBC
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 8, 2010, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucheech View Post
    Water on bathroom throwrug, no ceiling stains cracks etc. Attic over bathroom no leaks in plumbing under vanity sink or toilet. Where did the water come from?
    Is your house on slab? Is the water warm or cold?
    Why not simply mop and dry up the area and watch to see where the water's coming from. Fush and see if there's a leak from the base. You're going to have to be our eyes. Before we can began a repair we have to locate the source of the leak. Any sloppy users taking a bath or shower lately? If on a slab could this be a hidden leak under the slab?

To check to see if you have a hidden leak first shut down everything in the house, no flush, no drinks of water, and if you are on a meter go out and check the little pointer in the gage. It should not move or creep. If it does you have a leak. If you're on a pump then check the pressure gage after the pump builds up to pressure and shuts off. The gage should not fall and the pump come back on. If so then you have a leak. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 8, 2010, 04:14 PM

I always have to ask this question first, giot any kids or a cat? The other suggestions may be more appropriate since bath leaks are USUALLY pipes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water coming up through basement floor drain [ 0 Answers ]

My wife and I bought a house built in 2007 about a year and a half ago. We have just recently had a very big rain storm... but not the first since we moved in. Now we are getting water coming up through the floor drain. The reason we know this is because we heard a big "sploosh" sound and went down...

Water coming in under concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

Recently installed a new bath in a pole barn with concrete floor. Have trouble with water leaching under the new tile. Plumber says it will settle and that all concrete floors have dampness under them. I am afraid of mold and odor. Any solutions?

Water coming through concrete slab floor [ 3 Answers ]

My Daughter has water coming up through her dining room floor, she is in a four unit condo, plumbers claim the leak is coming from tree roots way out in the yard and claim after removing tree and repair leak her problem with the water infiltration will be cured. I feel that the integrity of the...

Water leak in first floor bathroom ceiling nothing coming from upstairs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a cape house I have a dormer bethroom upstairs with a walk in shower sink and toitel, below it is my first floor bathroom.. this morning before I got into the shower I notice large water spots on my first floor ceiling went upstairs it is dry upstaris shower has not been used in...

Water mark with mold on ceiling of 1st floor ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've just noticed a fairly large water mark with mold in the center located on the ceiling of a downstairs closet - I believe the closet sits below an upstairs shower. I'm a new home owner and would appreciate your advice on what sort of questions I need to ask a plumber to resolve...

View more questions Search