Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sudhirkn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 06:57 PM
    On H1B VISA, Tax claim wife & minor child while they not lived in US with me ?
    Hi,

I came to US on H1B visa during November,2009. My wife and kid were in India during that time, I filed my Federal tax return as single for 2009. My family joined me in US during May,2010, my question is am I eligible to claim tax credit being married with a kid ?

Nsk
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Oct 8, 2010, 12:30 AM
    QUOTE,"I came to US on H1B visa during November,2009."----Actually, you entered the US after July 2nd of 2009.So, you couldn't meet the Substantial Presence Test and must have filed as a non-resident alien,( as a single, 1040nr/1040nr-ez for 2009) but also still MAY have been able to file a dual-status tax return under the First Year Choice rule( if you had met the requirements under the rule). However, as you were married( though she and your kid were in India in2009), you were able to choose to be treated as resident aliens, regardless of whether you entered the United States before or after July 3rd as long as you met the First Year Choice rule and filed the First year choice statement in 2009. If you had satisifed all the requirements for passing the First Year Choice option in 2009, then in 2010, you can file amended return to claim your residencyas resident aliens in 2009.
    "My family joined me in US during May,2010, my question is am I eligible to claim tax credit being married with a kid ?"---- As you have already met SPT in 2010, then you can file joint return as regular residents. On your resident tax return, you can also claim exemption for dependents just like the U.S. citizens and residents, however, you must report your worldwide income( if you have) for the year.
    On your joint return with your wife, it is not required that your spouse must be a resident of the U.S. If your spouse can not get SSN, then you will attach W7, ITIN application,with your tax return. Also for a dependent, who can not get SSN, you will attach W7 Form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wife in B1/B2 visa. I am in H1B visa. Will I get any Tax exemptions. [ 1 Answers ]

My wife will be coming to US in B1/B2 visa. I am in a H1B visa. Please let me know whether I can get tax exemptions if I file tax returns with my wife in B1/B2 visa or should I process dependent H4 visa for her inorder to get any tax exemptions. Also please let me know the process to file tax...

Working in H1B Visa, Wife is in India, Need to file 2009 tax returns [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, This is karthik here. I'm confused of which status I should apply for. I got married and brought my wife to Oregon, USA in 2008 end. She was with me till July 2009 and then left to india for delivery. I was here alone till dec 2009. Now I have got my W2 form. I applied for her ITIN for...

Want to claim H4 visa wife and GC parents on tax for 2008 [ 1 Answers ]

I am on H1b visa. I got married in November 2007 and my wife came to usa in jan 2008. My green card holder parents (not working) are in usa since August 2007. Can I claim any of them as a dependent or exemption? My wife doesn't have ITIN number. Also, is it too late to apply for ITIN no for this...

Having H1B visa and Wife H4 can we file Tax return Jointly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am first time filing the Tax returns in US I am a software engineer and presently located in WA state. I am in US since late July 06 and my wife comes here in second week of Nov 06. My questions are 1. Can we file Tax returns Jointly if so which form I should fill (here I am talking about ...

Can I (on h1b visa) claim my child (h4) for deduction on 1040nr? [ 6 Answers ]

If I am on H1B from Russia and have a 6 y.o. daughter with h4 visa, can I claim her as a dependent on 1040nr, in order to get deduction on my tax? Thanks.

View more questions Search