Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kguy33 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 11:35 AM
    Who is responsible
    In New Jersey if my landslords tenants cause damage and destroy my personal property and harrass us is my landlord responsible for his tenants actions and my belongings that his tenants damage and destroy thnk u..
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 11:45 AM

No, the landlord isn't responsible for what his tenants do. The tenants are responsible for damage and harassment Take it up with them.

Tick

Oct 7, 2010, 06:23 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    OK thnk you ill have to take him to court and let the judge decide who is responsible I have police reports and they said he is responsible for his tenants actiions they live next to us in our townhouse next unit over and he doesn't respond to anything

Oct 7, 2010, 06:24 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    We sent letters certified phone calls and he is a layer so he is just a slum lord but thnk again god bless
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2010, 07:17 AM
    I agree with the previous poster. The ll isn't responsible for the tenant. And I hate to say it, but if he's an attorney you're wasting your time taking him to court. Possibly not only wasting your time, you most likely will be wasting your money and may wind up paying his court costs. If you hve police reports why wouldn't you sue the tenant for whatever damages you've experienced. They are the ones you could win a judgement against.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2010, 07:26 AM

First, please don't use the Comments feature to post follow-up, Use the Answer Options instead.

The only way the landlord would be responsible for the tenant actions is if he were aware of those actions and those actions violated that tenants lease and he did nothing about it.

From your description this issue is between you and the tenants and the landlord has no responsibility. I also agree with RockinMommy. If you try suing a lawyer, you are likely to lose and waste your time and money.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 10, 2010, 07:48 AM

The owner of an apartment complex is not normally liable for actions of the tennants. If one of the other tennants is damaging your property, you need to report and sue that other tenant.

If the landlord knows of an unsafe condition, and it is his duty or responsibility to fix it, then he may ( and I said MAY) be held liable.

As a owner of property, if someone that lives in that property damages your goods, I am not at all liable for anything.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If the landlord knows of an unsafe condition, and it is his duty or responsiblity to fix it, then he may ( and I said MAY) be held liable.
    Hello k:

I agree with the Padre. The only way you could WIN a lawsuit against him is if you can PROVE he was "put on notice" (a legal term), that there was a dangerous condition (or tenant), and FAILED to fix it (evict him).

Is this the first time this tenant has done this? Did the landlord do a background check? These are questions that a landlord will be required to answer in court...

IF these are the conditions you find yourself in, he MAY be held liable. But, nothing is a sure thing in court.

So, the bottom line is, if you're done discussing the situation with your landlord, file a small claims lawsuit against him for the damages, and prove your case. Yes, if you don't have a lease he's going to evict you - or at least give you a 30 day notice to vacate.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I responsible? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, in 2003 my mother was renting two units from a landlord and offered to let me live in one rent free while I was attending college. The manager had me sign a form that stated I was an adult living in the unit but I never signed a lease. I moved out of the place in 2004 and my mother was...

Am I responsible [ 4 Answers ]

My husband died suddenly 1 mo ago... we had good credit which is no longer... I have lost more than half my income... unfortunately I can not pay the creditors of my husband... there was no will and no trust or accets, I am in an underwater mortgage which I am trying to get help with the...

Who is responsible [ 2 Answers ]

My housemate just decied to move out we are both on the lease, is she resposible for her share of the rent until someone else moves in to the house or is it my responibility to pay it if I stay in the house

Calgary, AB - Is landlord responsible to pay out DD-Or Is ex-roommate responsible [ 18 Answers ]

Calgary, AB I have just recently moved out of a house I was living in with a couple roommates. I am having troubles getting my damage deposite back. I need to know if it is the responsibility of the landlord to pay me out, or if it is up to my roommates to pay me my portion? Will I...

Who is responsible [ 2 Answers ]

If I deposit a check in my account and after 6 days the bank says it cleared. Then I take the cash out then 2 days later the check comes back. Am I rsponsible for it because the bank cleared it. It was the only check and the only money that I had in that account.

View more questions Search