Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PinkKitteh Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 10:42 AM
    Broken plate mirror wall, need solutions
    The long dining room in my condo has opposing walls of glass; one has a patio door, the opposite wall has a 4 panel wall of floor-to-ceiling mirrors. The 2 mirrored panels on the left of the wall are broken beyond hope of repair. Underneath the mirrors is a white brick, you can see it through the damage. They were applied to the wall on a baseboard at the bottom, with a thin silver track at the top, but also glued on using a black, tarry looking substance. Will they come off undamaged? Should I even try? I'd probably either A) put both in the middle with china cabinets to either side, or B) split them up to use on the ends of the wall- and put a bar in the middle. Will it be cheaper to have them moved, or to buy replacement mirrors? Is it even possible?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2010, 06:51 PM
    The black mastic is pretty typical. The problem is that you can actually pull off the mirror plating if the mastic is adhered well. You can carefully try a commercial heat gun, $20 or so at Harbor freight, by heating the mirror where the mastic is applied, if you can guess where it is. Get the glass hot and VERY carefully apply outward pressure at the bottom. It may soften enough. You should put masking tape across the glass, wear heavy gloves and safety goggles. I have been successful doing that and have also broken some. You can also try the wire method, a thin strong wire if you can get it behind the mirror and then "saw" it down the mirror. Custom sized mirrors are expensive. Try to stay with a standard size. .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mirror mirror on the wall... [ 5 Answers ]

Shrek, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Lopez were all having lunch together. Shrek said, 'I have always thought that I'm the strongest man in the World, but how can I be sure? Brad Pitt said, 'I'm pretty sure I'm the hottest man alive but I've Never had it confirmed.' ...

Mirror, Mirror on the wall. [ 11 Answers ]

Shrek, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt were all having lunch together. Shrek said, 'I have always thought that I'm the strongest man in the world, but how can I be sure?' Angelina Jolie agreed. 'I'm told I'm the most gorgeous of them all, but sometimes I wonder.' Brad Pitt said, 'I'm pretty...

How to unglue broken mirror from door of 8 feet wooden armoir? [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Sir I have an eight feet high almirah(wooden armoir) and its left door had a mirror which got broken during shifting. Please advice how to unglue or remove it as it looks very ugly because of several cracks in it.

Decorative Swith Plate or Wall Plate and Switches [ 5 Answers ]

We're looking to replace our standard switch plates with "decorative" plates, mainly in the kitchen backsplash. We have seen plenty of options for the plates, from pewter to copper to nickel, etc. Are there options for the actual switches themselves? Can we get switches, such as simple light...

View more questions Search